Dis-assembly of the gear lever/shifter

Brigand

Silver forum user
I have to strip my gear lever down so I can get it re-chromed.
I've read quite a bit about melting a braze to enable dis-assembly, is this the correct part to heat?
Thanks

20230519_212241.jpg

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I sent mine to Bill Heely who is in the list of approved vendors which does not seem to be showing up for me lately. He's well known as the Ford shifter guy. He did a great job for a very fair price and it was a quick turnaround. I have no problem doing things myself but this service made me not mind sending it out.

Brigand

Silver forum user
I sent mine to Bill Heely who is in the list of approved vendors which does not seem to be showing up for me lately. He's well known as the Ford shifter guy. He did a great job for a very fair price and it was a quick turnaround. I have no problem doing things myself but this service made me not mind sending it out.
I jave seen Bill's name before, but unfortunately, I'm in the UK, so sending it over would be expensive

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have to strip my gear lever down so I can get it re-chromed.
I've read quite a bit about melting a braze to enable dis-assembly, is this the correct part to heat?
Thanks

View attachment 17666
Yes; it's best to warm it with a small concentrated acetylene tip while a third hand taps gently on the lockout pawl. Be careful not to overheat the inner spring and keep an eye on the special sized washer that will follow the spring out and get lost on the floor somewhere . . . . .just sayin'

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did this a year ago. I believe the photo you provided shows where you heat the wire with an oxy acetylene torch and a small nozzle. The lockout cam pulls off and you can get all the guts out of the shifter.
It comes right apart. There is a spring inside so be careful to capture all the parts.
There is a description somewhere I read on the internet, but I cannot find it.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
the pic is not a tiger shifter-- mustang--
true, the shift lever is not tiger but the parts in the shifter handle are the same for engaging the reverse lockout. Meant as a reference for reassembly after he gets it re-chromed.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Those photos are what I was looking for online and used when I did it.

Last edited: