Dual Circuit Brakes

Salem7

Bronze forum user
I have a leaking MC on my 1966 single circuit brakes. Since I have to get into it I want to go dual circuit for safety reasons. (It is not fun driving home on just the ebrake) After reviewing a lot of information online this looks like something that would work. Could someone more knowledgable than me express their opinion on if this will work?

"]http://www.buybrakes.com/130.45501-pv-1071-8844617-c-tek-130-premium-brake-master-cylinder.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchantcenter&utm_campaign=products&gclid=CJbzwLrtksACFSdk7AodBz0A2Q[/URL]

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Questions

I have a leaking MC on my 1966 single circuit brakes. Since I have to get into it I want to go dual circuit for safety reasons. (It is not fun driving home on just the ebrake) After reviewing a lot of information online this looks like something that would work. Could someone more knowledgable than me express their opinion on if this will work?

"]http://www.buybrakes.com/130.45501-pv-1071-8844617-c-tek-130-premium-brake-master-cylinder.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchantcenter&utm_campaign=products&gclid=CJbzwLrtksACFSdk7AodBz0A2Q[/URL]

Assuming that you have already dumped the brake servo, a tandem dual makes good sense. We used the 3/4" Subaru Brat unit on several until it became really hard to find $$$. 3/4" works great as it minimizes the pedal effort without a servo and, since a tandem moves the same amount of fluid twice, there is sufficient volume. Larger bore sizes start to make pedal efforts challenging unless you're into kneecap workouts. Various manufacturers like Wilwood provide products that match the vertical mount holes in the Beam firewall. There is still (always) the issue of adapting a proper and safe pedal rod that does not bind or drop out in use. And, adapting our 3/16" lines to a metric master.
Another 2-cents for ya

Salem7

Bronze forum user
Servo has been dumped. I am checking into other options too. Thanks for suggesting Wilwood. I kind of overlooked them.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
M/C

I used the '70's Ford Courier master cylinder, didn't have any problem getting one from Summit, works great. Bolts right up to the firewall mounting, I did have to turn the Tiger brake push rod mushroom down a hair to get it to work in the Courier cylinder. I also had to use adaptors to go from the M/C to the brake lines, but I don't remember it being any problem to find them.
Bob K.
B9471705

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
adaptors

Oh yea, now I remember, I used the Wilwood 1/8" MPT x AN fittings, tapped out the master cylinder to 1/8" pipe thread, and put the adaptors in with red Loctite.
Bob Knight
B9471705

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Whole Hole ?

I used the '70's Ford Courier master cylinder, didn't have any problem getting one from Summit, works great. Bolts right up to the firewall mounting, I did have to turn the Tiger brake push rod mushroom down a hair to get it to work in the Courier cylinder. I also had to use adaptors to go from the M/C to the brake lines, but I don't remember it being any problem to find them.
Bob K.
B9471705

Bob: What sized bores are in that Courier unit?
randy

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Courier

the Courier M/C is 3/4" bore, or probably something metric really close to that. The Ford Courier was built by Mazda.
Bob K.
B9471705

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
pedal force

One thing I forgot to mention, I first saw the Courier M/C on a Tiger at Dale's shop, that's when I decided it was a good choice. We noticed that the firewall flexes when very strong braking force is applied to the pedal, the master cylinder moves noticeably. To be on the safe side, I made a small bracket that fits in the "dimple" in the rear of the master cylinder and goes to the closest bolt on the shock tower brace, which is almost in a straight line behind the center of the M/C, to take the braking force. Not that you have to push on the pedal that hard, from my non-scientific brake foot pressure gauge, it seems like the Courier M/C with 4 wheel Wilwood disc brakes takes a lot less brake pedal pressure than stock Tiger brakes with the booster.
Bob Knight
B9471705

Salem7

Bronze forum user
Thanks for all the information. I located on Ebay a NOS Bendix 11809 Brake Master Cylinder for the Ford/Mazda 70's truck series. The measurements the seller reported to me make it seem perfect. I probably will not get around to the install till after driving season. I intend to put in all new brake lines when I do this. Thanks for the flexing firewall warning.