Engine Casting Numbers - MKII

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The engine casting number in my MKII is C5AE-6015.
This would be a 1965 block - correct? What year blocks did Rootes use in the MKII's?
Did Rootes ever use 1965 289 blocks in the MKII?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
engine block casting numbers

Hi John, as near as I can tell, the numbers you quoted are correct.
Do you need any other info?
Brian

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
engine block casting number

Quote from Ron Stein from TEAE:

All MKII Tigers had Cleveland Foundry engines which is the C5AE-E, 289 block casting.

Another important number is the casting date ( the number is located over the casting number !!!)

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Brian,
Just wanted to be sure that this is a correct block for the MKII.
I know there is no way to determine if it is the original engine but wanted to know if I needed to look around for a block appropriate for the MKII.
I guess I already have one.

Thanks
John

Warren

Gold forum user
Other dates

Other than the 6015 date there is another casting date date, plus there is a build date on the deck on drivers side just behind where the remote oil filter hangs. There is also a gent on the Tiger email list R. Fraser who has an exhaustive Tiger engine study. When I was looking at a 260 in a previous car I found it had the same casting dates and build dates as Duke's object d art de garage, aka original motor :)

Warren

Gold forum user
An update

Was looking at an old thread and realized it is important to me now. I had been discussing another car and going thru mu coll wreck tion :)

I have a 65 289 and asked R. Fraser about the possibility it could be in MK2 he replied that all MK2 blocks had a 66 casting date.

Copy below.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
To: 'Warren
Sent: Tue, Apr 28, 2020 11:42 am
Subject: RE: Block etc.

Warren
All the production MK II blocks were cast and assembled in 1966.

This block has a casting date of 4J16 = Sept 16, 1964
Assembly date – 4K27 = Oct 27, 1964

This is an early 1965 Ford model year 289 engine.

Ron

Subject: Block etc.

Hey I put a 65-289 on Craigslist before I get rid of it I thought I would check with you on how in range you thought it might be on any of the Mark 2's.
I'm thinking it's a 65 Mustang block . Thanks W.

*note Ron and Brian G. have a significant engine study if you need their contact information use email option or PM meas I removed the addresses.