Engine Fan Cooling

Hurdman59

New forum user
CAT Member
Anybody have a recommendation for radiator fan options:

A. Should I do it?
B. If so, what type of fan and where do I get it?
C. Any install tips, challenges, etc?

Thanks

Dan

KenF

Gold forum user
Dan, lots of smart folks here that can give you some advice, but first we'd need some basic info instead of flying in the dark. I'm certainly no expert but off the top of my head some questions I have would be:
  • Which fan are you thinking of?
  • Which fan do you now have?
  • What radiator do you have? Aluminum aftermarket? Stock style?
  • What condition is your radiator in? Has it been really cleaned in the last few years?
  • Are you still using the factory fan shroud?
  • Which motor? Stock or performance replacement? Bored out?
  • Stock water pump? Or performance aftermarket?
  • What degree Thermostat? What climate do you live in?
  • Have you done any of the typical Tiger fixes such as blocking the horn holes?
  • Does it get hot while freeway driving mostly? Or idling around town?
Sorry for the thousand questions. :) Anyway, Tiger cooling remedies usually don't happen with just one single fix, but a combination of several that work together to get those extra few lower degrees of temperature drop.

Ken

Warren

Gold forum user
Always add the look question.
Stock, Personalized, or Modified. There's the old Tigers United thread," Cooling the Tiger."
Plus there's a lot of threads here. One of the first things is having a accurate gauge.
Always someone has changed the temperature sender and blindly expects the gauge to be accurate.
Adding a resistor is the accuracy fix. Sometimes looking over the old parts for sale will clue in what's a $tock LAT option fan look like.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sometimes you get one that defies the norms. I've got a client with a MK1A , stock fan, pump, rad & shroud with no real mods. It will run 190 - 200 degrees at highway speeds and then cool to 165 sitting at stop lights. I've checked it over twice every season and decided that magic just happens.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I read the post as wanting information about electric fans, but on reading the post again. maybe information about engine driven fans 14", 15",etc) is desired. Hurdman59, what information would be most helpful? For electric fans, owners have installed "pusher" type fans in front of the radiator. I have instlled 2 8" puller fans and an electric water pump in my Tiger. However, I am not satisfied yet, so, I wouldn't recommend the "puller" type fans just yet. The big problem is there is so small a space between the engine and radiator and my fan belt is very close to one of the fans. It's a PIA to work on, but so is most every thing else in these tiny cars. Cliff

Warren

Gold forum user
Paul Resientz made a sweet looking bracket for a pusher fan. Mounting to the existing bolt ends it looked nice and avoided those funky thru core zip tie like fitment. Now I'd use one of those but then would only be upset that the car sounds like a Hoover.

For those who don't get my English that's a brand name of a vacuum cleaner :)