Exhaust tips dragging on my 1966 1A

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I have a tool box in the boot and full tank my exhaust tips bump the pavement unexpectedly. I've had to shorten them to back under the bumper. Does anyone out there know of a coil over rear shock brand and part number that would bump my ride height up a couple inches in the rear? I've read about the "saggy leaf springs" (and they probably are) but prefer not to go to the extent of replacing them.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure about where to get coil overs, but you serm to acknowledge you are doing a band aid fix... Also you say the tails were dragging... In normal driving or when transitioning up an incline like a drive?

If dragging going down a flat road the springs must be very tired... Maybe get some raising blocks or longer shackles if you won't sort the underlying problem

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Patch Me Up

Clamp style coils on the shocks will get you by, but not recommended long term. Any "good" parts shop can points out types & styles for ya. My personal solution has always been a secondary jeep leaf stuck in (replacing) the second Tiger leaf. I like to slice them off so that they run full length up front while remaining the stock length to the rear of the center bolt. Helps deter spring wrap up.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Transitioning up an incline

Not sure about where to get coil overs, but you serm to acknowledge you are doing a band aid fix... Also you say the tails were dragging... In normal driving or when transitioning up an incline like a drive?

If dragging going down a flat road the springs must be very tired... Maybe get some raising blocks or longer shackles if you won't sort the underlying problem

It only drags when transitioning up an incline like a drive or down onto the street. My guess is that the bumper height is a couple of inches lower than standard when the boot is loaded. I would be curious as to what that street-to-bumper height should be.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user

If you happen to have 'blocks' between your springs and axle they will be 'lowering' blocks !! If they were installed by a p.o., you could take them out to lift the spring ( and the car ) 'up' !;)
My springs are custom and have 1" 'lowering' blocks which work out just right for ride height :cool: ... bit of a job to take them out, though :(

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
You could always install air shocks to dial in the ride height, cheaper than air ride and more adjustable than new leaf springs. Just a thought. I had a set on an early Mustang that came with an air pump so I could raise and lower the car from inside, similar to the air ride kits but around $100.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you happen to have 'blocks' between your springs and axle they will be 'lowering' blocks !! If they were installed by a p.o., you could take them out to lift the spring ( and the car ) 'up' !;)
My springs are custom and have 1" 'lowering' blocks which work out just right for ride height :cool: ... bit of a job to take them out, though :(

Jim hadn't thought to ask if the car might have lowering blocks installed in the car... Was thinking ways of fixing assuming the springs are old and sagging.

Another thing to consider is so often new exhausts are mounted much lower under the rear axle , the stock system was quite tight against it.. If the system was sitting to low that may also be the cause.

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rear bumper facia

The exhaust tips dragging has actually forced the pipes up against the rear bumper fascia and indented that lip. The back of the car is probably 2" too close to the ground.