Factory engine bay colors

drbill

Gold forum user
Hi all,
Is there a good source for checking the factory colors for the engine block, air cleaner housing, etc? It seems that lots of the pictures I see have different looks.
Thanks,
Bill

tiger260

Gold forum user
I believe that the air filters were grey unless it was the LAT 2 chrome option.

I believe that the engine colour changed in mid 1965 from black to blue.

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Bible on Ford SBF engines..

Bob Mannel wrote a 736 page bible, "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8" with explicit detail on every change in the SBF from inception in 1962 until 1969. It includes a 5 page chart and description of all engine components including colors and finishes of all valve color options, colors and finishes of each and every bolt, bracket, connection, component and parts of components. It also includes exact specs for every part of every model of every Ford product that had the SBF.
It includes a disclaimer for exported engines, but the Tiger engine was a standard Ford product and it is listed under another name.

I have the book and because of copyrights I can't post copies of the charts and descriptions, but if you can send or post a list of components I'll be glad to respond with the color and finish of any standard SBF part. If you can, send specific info on serial, casting or assembly numbers, I can probably supply the finish info for your SBF part.

For example:

Engine block:
62/65 Satin(semi-gloss) black
66/69 Ford Corporate blue
Crankshaft pully bolts:
62/69 Natural
Spring bracket on carburator:
64 Satin(semi-gloss) black
65-69 Natural

The book is available for $40.00 including shipping at
www.fordsmallblock.com

This book covers each and every change to the SBF in detail including interchangability of parts. Any mechanically inclined Tiger owner would really enjoy the wealth of information in this book.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe that the air filters were grey unless it was the LAT 2 chrome option.

I believe that the engine colour changed in mid 1965 from black to blue.

the factory air cleaners were the hamertone finish grey, as mentioned the LAT dress up kit offered a Chrome fop housing, the base was still hamertone. Also it was a kit.. so you didnt just get the top, you got the chrome breather cap and dip stick as well.

drbill

Gold forum user
the factory air cleaners were the hamertone finish grey, as mentioned the LAT dress up kit offered a Chrome fop housing, the base was still hamertone. Also it was a kit.. so you didnt just get the top, you got the chrome breather cap and dip stick as well.

Thanks, guys! I did order the SBF book from Bob Mannel mentioned above.
That hammertone grey finish: Is there a specific color code for it or how to get the proper grey color (so many shades of grey, you know) ?