Factory Master with Wilwood brakes

ktwhite

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Anybody use the stock master cylinder with the Wilwood front brake kit and stock drums in the rear? If so any issue that need to be address before use?

Warren

Gold forum user
Wildwood also makes a compact single that is an easy install and inexpensive.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If your upgrading your brakes anyway, I would suggest you consider a dual circut brake master cyl - I have used a Datsun Z brake master which work very well and the dual circut brake master is much safer. Back in the 80's I used a dual circut brake master from a Ford Courier (also Mazda I believe) that worked/fit well with stock rear drum brakes, no power boost and from memory the Courier master cyl also had a built in residual preassure. Warning, brake work is not as easy as just adding new parts - I am definately no expert but do you homework. Also, the 6:1 brake pedal upgrade helps a lot IMO. The Datsun Z brake master is still readily avilable on eB.y

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I ran Dale’s 11” front brakes with stock MC, booster and drum rear brakes for a few years. I never installed a proportioning valve. Brake pedal felt pretty much stock. It stopped much better than stock but it was obvious the rear drums weren’t doing much under hard driving. Still a great and well worthwhile upgrade.