For those with Qa1 coilovers...

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
What spring rate are you guys running? Looks like Summit offers kits with 375 and 500 lbs/in. Anybody using the 500's? I like a firm ride but don't want to blow the filling out of my teeth. It's a street car that will hit the autox course from time to time. Any thoughts?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I'm running 375# springs on my car.

I bought the Mustang II 'kit' MS3375 which has single adjustable shocks and 8" 375# springs. I see they've changed the part# since though... http://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-shocks-struts-and-pro-coil-systems/front-pro-coil-shock-systems/mustang-ii-front-procoil-systems

I'm really happy with the ride... only 'slightly' stiff and I DO autocross the car occasionally.
I made new lower shock mounts that drop the shock 1/2" below stock height and are stronger than stock... also changed out the lower bolts and cut half the top off the upper donut for ride height.
You can see pics here if your logged into this forum... http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/album.php?u=68&page=2
PM me if you want more details...

PITT40

Gold forum user
I consulted with Jim before doing my car. Keep in mind that his car has a couple factors that ours do not. First, as he mentioned, he has made new lower shock mounts with a 1/2" drop and he has Minx spindles that lower the car 7/8". So that is 1-3/8" of lowering without factoring the coilovers into it.

I couldn't use the 8" tall Mustang II springs because it made my car sit 1.5-2" higher than I wanted with 500# springs. I could have went to a much lower rate and gotten some drop. I chose to use 6" tall Eibach's with 450# rate.

Also, when I got my car where I wanted it looks wise, it was almost on the bump stops. So I had to raise it a little to have travel. I do have single adjustable QA1's in rear and now double adjustable QA1's up front. So I'm looking forward to dialing it in at an autocross.

tgrrr

Silver forum user
For those with QA1 coilovers...

What spring rate are you guys running?

attachment.php

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I wish I could get the full cross member as well. Is there anyone out there considering making a kit that can be mounted to there stock cross member?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I don't know of anyone making stuff to attach to the stock crossmember... I've known about 4 different guys that have created a whole new crossmember but I believe there is only one still being marketed.
That's Mike Hokanson's crossmember setup above on his dad's car... pretty sweet !! I talked my local Tiger buddy into getting one a while back. That '250#' number is not applicable to the stock setup as the shock/spring mounts quite a bit more 'outboard' on that a-arm so the calculation is different.

..."Also, when I got my car where I wanted it looks wise, it was almost on the bump stops." ...

There are really only 2 ways to get the front down on a stock suspension that don't compromise the travel... short tires.. or the Hillman spindles!! That's why I spend a lot of my time trying to source more of them ;)