Ford Alternator Brackets

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When doing an alternator conversion, is there any reason why Ford style alternator brackets can not be used? Compensation for the Tiger's rearward fan belt position seems doable.
Does the position of the alternator with the Ford brackets not work in the Tiger engine compartment or is there another reason Rootes designed their own bracket for the MKII?

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I believe all the brackets Ford used at the time of Tiger production position the alternator too far forward, where it would be in the way of the fan (which was moved rearward to clear the radiator and is why the belt is where it is). You may be able to make one from a newer model work.

-Jon

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. The way I see it, the fan sits ahead of the alternator based on the fact that the its location is always relative to the position of the belt. The belt is always going to be behind the fan because of the depth of the water pump pulley. The alternator pulley, when lined up with the other two, will be well behind the fan.
I am thinking the late '60s ford brackets can be used if the basic adjustment of moving the alternator reward the 1/4" or so to line up with crank pulley. I figure this can be done by adjusting the spacers used with this arrangement.
There is a possibility that the alternator could hit the passenger side inner fender in this position but I doubt it as the alternator is less bulky than the generator which clears, although not by much.
I like the idea of using these brackets as they are period correct and genuine FoMoCo.

Warren

Gold forum user
Screenshot

Is that that Carley's old black car in the background on the other listing picture?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200831-212248.png
    Screenshot_20200831-212248.png
    658.1 KB · Views: 96

steven

Gold forum user
The easy way is to use a simple cut bracket on stand-offs to the R head, and Desno mini alternator
CAT also makes (or made??) a bracket for a Ford alternator

If there was only an easy way to post a pic from my computer..................
I made a few for myself and mates and have 2 left. Here it is on Fleabay - contact me directly

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203078448196?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Giday mate, I sent you a steering unit I hope you have it. Thank you I received your great alternator braket set up. I have not been able to use it. The Denso alternator is only fitted to industrial machines here in Australia and cost $500 to buy second hand.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Giday mate, I sent you a steering unit I hope you have it. Thank you I received your great alternator braket set up. I have not been able to use it. The Denso alternator is only fitted to industrial machines here in Australia and cost $500 to buy second hand.

Sounds like you did not see the thank you note I sent you about the steering
In any case - thank you and it arrived fine

The little Denso are very common in Canada and the US as on small machinery, gensets, and big on the hot rod scene. Cheap as chips
Not sure about small cars

About 50.00 USD, and if I ever get back to Canada after this covid lockdown I would be pleased to post you one

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
After three plywood mockups, and a first pass in aluminum I believe I have answered my original question. There are two reasons an alternator can't be mounted to a Tiger using the Ford brackets.
First, the Tiger's deeper water pump pulley won't allow the alt. brackets to be mounted to the available holes on the water pump.
Second, the Ford alt. position is too low. The Tiger lower radiator hose runs through this spot.
The MKII alternator bracket, which basically looks like an adaptation of the earlier generator bracket seems to have addressed both of these issues.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Thanks mate

Looking more and more that I will be stuck in Thailand for quite a while yet.

I use shipito.com for transhipment of parts to me in Thailand. They act as your US address, consolidate parcels for up to 6 months, then ship using the method of your choice. Best of all you make out the customs declaration...........

steven

Gold forum user
Looking more and more that I will be stuck in Thailand for quite a while yet.

I use shipito.com for transhipment of parts to me in Thailand. They act as your US address, consolidate parcels for up to 6 months, then ship using the method of your choice. Best of all you make out the customs declaration...........

I can wait the whole world is up shit creek ( an aussie saying) at present

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I was actually replying to this post by Steven... showing one from ePay inc. shipping vs big Au. price!

Thank you I received your great alternator braket set up. I have not been able to use it. The Denso alternator is only fitted to industrial machines here in Australia and cost $500 to buy second hand.

steven

Gold forum user
OK I bought one at $110 US that is AU$200 still,cheaper than here but otherwise I have a mounting bracket set that is unusable.