Front brake caliper rebuild

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Here is a question I have about the crossover seal on the front calipers :-
It mentions in the manual not to separate the calipers but I had to on one of them to get one of the pistons out by using a jack screw after drilling and tapping for a 3/8 -24 screw. The questions are should I separate the other caliper which the pistons came out fine or do as the manual suggested and not separate? Also am I correct about the torque being 45 foot pounds ? What advantages are there in replacing the seal ?
Thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It mentions in the manual not to separate the calipers but I had to on one of them to get one of the pistons out by using a jack screw after drilling and tapping for a 3/8 -24 screw. The questions are should I separate the other caliper which the pistons came out fine or do as the manual suggested and not separate? Also am I correct about the torque being 45 foot pounds ? What advantages are there in replacing the seal ?
Thanks
Those transfer port seals are critical and must fit correctly & tall. Rick has them at S.S. if your local hardware doesn't stock the flat-side washers in proper diameter & thickness.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks
there's really now way to properly rebuild calipers w/o splitting them... you can bead blast them inside and out. pay special attention to getting all residue out of the grooves for the seals as yes, the transfer port o-rings should be replaced.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I did buy one from Rick 2 years ago when I knew I had to replace the one for the caliper that I had split. It sounds like I should split the other one even though it mentions not to split the caliper. I will purchase a new o ring from Rick soon when I have fully comprised my list of door clips and hardware , hopefully that list will be coming towards an end Still gotta buy tires
Is the torque on the bolts that hold the calipers together 45 foot pounds ?
Thanks for the answers

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
45lbs is adequate!

it's a real pain to install pistons through the dust seal and into the caliper body w/o pinching them... much easier with the caliper split! That way you can see all the way around the dust seal so you can be sure that it's all put together correctly

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
there's really now way to properly rebuild calipers w/o splitting them... you can bead blast them inside and out. pay special attention to getting all residue out of the grooves for the seals as yes, the transfer port o-rings should be replaced.
45lbs is adequate!

it's a real pain to install pistons through the dust seal and into the caliper body w/o pinching them... much easier with the caliper split! That way you can see all the way around the dust seal so you can be sure that it's all put together correctly
45 too much ?

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Got the caliper separated after soaking overnight with penetrant. Would the caliper have been painted ? It seams that there is black and a silvery gray color and no rust so must be protected from day one. Should I paint them ?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Got the caliper separated after soaking overnight with penetrant. Would the caliper have been painted ? It seams that there is black and a silvery gray color and no rust so must be protected from day one. Should I paint them ?
See the same thing on Healey and TR calipers. It appears that Girling may have zinc plated the caliper halves and then painted them black. when I bead blast them the silver/grey coating comes of like it was a plated coating, rather than a painted one.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
See the same thing on Healey and TR calipers. It appears that Girling may have zinc plated the caliper halves and then painted them black. when I bead blast them the silver/grey coating comes of like it was a plated coating, rather than a painted one.
Yes that makes sense. Thanks

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
B21D90D3-E880-45B6-995F-00136015EA29.jpeg
Picture of seal after splitting the caliper

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
you can see the rust in the transfer port which is pretty normal... another reason to split the calipers... So they can be properly cleaned out!