Front End Sheet Metal

Dennis Manfredo

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Question, does anyone know if there is a difference in the sheet metal surround mounting area on Tiger 2 1967 at the front grille and the 1A. I am presently restoring a 1967 Tiger 2 and need to change thr front grill are. I have purchased a beautiful Chrome surround for the grille, but have concerns regarding the mounting area. Thankyou Dennis Manfredo

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
They should be the same, both the Mk1a and the Mk2 are based on Series 5 Alpine shells that were modified by Pressed Steel during initial assembly of the shell, with later modification by Jensen. The exception might be very early cars which were based on the transition body (round corner trunk lids) if the area at the inside corners of the grille opening is the same, the rest of the sheet metal will be.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The same. Did you strip the old paint off and find bad bodywork? Lots of Sunbeams got hit in the front over the years! Photos would help.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This photo is a series 4 Alpine which was the basis of the MK 1 Tiger
100_0510.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
took mine to Portland Oregon and had it dipped... 20 hours round trip...
I called the shop in Cincinnati a few weeks back about getting a Beam body dipped and he said there were 28 cars in front of me. Based on average dip and cleaning time he said it could be three years minimum before getting to our car.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I called the shop in Cincinnati a few weeks back about getting a Beam body dipped and he said there were 28 cars in front of me. Based on average dip and cleaning time he said it could be three years minimum before getting to our car.
I had a 6 month wait... then 6 weeks in the tanks