Front Shocks

dwllacey

Bronze forum user
67 Tiger MK1A, rebuilding the front suspension. This car is to be driven under normal cicumstances, no racing, are the Sunbeam Specialties KYB Gas Shocks a good replacement or do you recommend another non adjustable shock?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Putt Putt Putt

67 Tiger MK1A, rebuilding the front suspension. This car is to be driven under normal cicumstances, no racing, are the Sunbeam Specialties KYB Gas Shocks a good replacement or do you recommend another non adjustable shock?

For "normal" driving, almost any Tiger specific shock is fine.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have KYB gas shocks on my current Tiger...they have performed well for the last 25 years.

My previous Tiger had Koni's- they were at least as good as the KYB's if you have the money.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Don't forget Spax shocks.

Vintage Koni are still made (all oil, no gas), if I'm not mistaken.
Although a pain to adjust, they are quite nice on old style suspension (what they were designed for).

Each time I buy a set I just leave them on the factory setting as they came out of the box.

mike

Brigand

Silver forum user
From previous experience I cannot recommend Spax. However the Koni Classic shocks I have on my Tiger & on another classic car are excellent. Although a pain to adjust, once you have found your ideal setting you don't need to touch them. I found that for normal roads the softest setting on all four gives a compliant and comfy ride while still allowing spirited driving.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Funny how that works concerning shocks. I've heard good things about AVO shocks, so I bought some for the front of one of the Lotus cars. I open the box and they are both leaking. I went back to Spax and have never had any trouble. I like Spax as the adjustment is done by a screw on the side so the adjustment is done with a screwdriver with seconds.

Classic Koni have never given me trouble.

mike

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Edelbrock Shocks

I believe CAT still has a few Edelbrock shock absorbers available. I have no experience with them - perhaps other folks have. To check it out, click on the CAT Home Page down at the very bottom and go to the parts section.