Fuel Tank Sending Unit Fix

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My fuel gauge wasn't working at all and I isolated the problem to a broken wire inside the sending unit. Originally the wire was crimped or mechanically stamped into place on both ends.
I was able to solder one end to the wiping arm of the sender. The other end goes to ground which is any part of the sender housing. I drilled a hole for a 1-72 machine screw in the side of the housing and trapped the loose end of the wire under a nut & washer. I used very fine solder wick and turned a coil in it so it should be able to handle the movement, which is actually very slow as the float rises and drops with the fuel level.
Replacements are available but I suspect the broken wire and/or corrosion on the face of the resistor would be the most likely failures inside the sender and are a cheap fix.

IMG_3835-1.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg

Last edited:

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Nice fix -Mine doesn't show full on on the gauge maxing out at about 9 gallons even when the full to the brim . Is the sender calibratable ? -Karl

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I don't think you can calibrate them but it's probably worth removing it and have a look inside. Removing the driver side trunk spring makes this reasonably easy. You can measure resistance in different positions and they should be 228 ohms in the empty position, 68 at mid and 22 at full.
I'd check and clean the surface of the resistor and make sure the blade is moving correctly. In my photos, the first shows empty and the second shows full. I'd see what is going on in that position.

Last edited:

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Where do you place the test leads to obtain a reading?

I am going through this right now with my sending unit. When hooked up to the harness, it does not move the gauge in any position.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Without removing the sender you can test for continuity and/or resistance between the terminal on the sender and ground. If you get nothing, I would suspect a broken wire in the sender.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I have it out of the car now. Neither of the wires appear to be broken.

So, to test, just put one lead on the plug-in and the other to ground?

Sender 2.jpg

Sender.jpg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Nice fix -Mine doesn't show full on on the gauge maxing out at about 9 gallons even when the full to the brim . Is the sender calibratable ? -Karl
calibration is usually a matter of slightly bending the rod to the float... you can test the unit out of the car by attaching a ground lead to the top of the sender. manually move the float through the range of movement. if the gauge goes to full with the float at the top of its range it's probably hitting the inside of the tank when installed. If it doesn;t read full when moved manually, the fault is in either the sender or the gauge.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It really is all you need to know about the water and fuel gauges. Probably the most unexpected thing I learned from it is the fact that other than the faces, the inner workings of the two gauges are identical. They are interchangable.