Gas mileage with the 347

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Couple of weeks ago I drove the Tiger to Houston and back. 1600 miles round trip.

I got 16.9 MPG averaging 75 MPH. I have a 3.07 rear end so I was turning 3400 rpm. Looking for a 2.88 to help out.

Cal44

Gold forum user
Duke,

shouldn't be a problem finding dem gears. I think there must be a million cars/jeeps running around with a Dana rear so finding ring and pinion will be not to tough.

I had a posi put in mine and the shop had it in three days time. I kept the 2.88's as standard fare.

Mike

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A source?

The gentleman from Malibu seems to have his hands in them Danas all the time . . . . . . .

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tiger Rearends

That be me.

Tigers came with 10 spline pinion gears. Dana switched over from 10 spline (coarse) pinion gears to 26 spline (fine) pinion gears in the mid 70s. Most trucks and cars have taller tires than Tigers and consequently many of them don't have 2.88s, let alone the course spline pinion gear.

The 10 spline 2.88s are getting harder to find. Best bet is to get them from other Tiger guys who have mistakenly converted to 3.07s or 3.31s thinking the problem with acceleration was the rearend gear, when in reality it's the close ratio transmission with the tall first gear.

Sunbeam Specialties sells the fine spline pinion gear flange, since that is all you can get nowadays.

Good luck,

Gary