Gear shift

gregory schumacher

Bronze forum user
Has anyone taken thier gear shift lever apart. Need to break it down for rechroming.Bottom is welded to tube cannot see any nut at top of tube so reverse lockout can be broken down?

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I think you need to de-solder the reverse lock out to get it apart and re-solder when assembling. I left it to my panel beater but I am sure this is what he did.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Melting Pot

Has anyone taken thier gear shift lever apart. Need to break it down for rechroming.Bottom is welded to tube cannot see any nut at top of tube so reverse lockout can be broken down?

Yup: You need to CAREFULLY un-solder the wire where it goes thru the bottom center of the lockout. If you get things too hot, the inner spring collapses! Wrapping the bottom of the tube with an icy cloth ain't a bad idea. There may be a slight kink in the wire so I generally pull on the lockout while applying heat. At the top of the inner spring is a sized washer that you really DO NOT want to lose. Once unsoldered, the wire slides out the top freeing the "Tee" handle et al.
Amen

chirodoc

Gold forum user
SHIFTER HANDLE

From Randy's answer, and the CAT shop notes, not a do it yourselfer. Bill Healy in Onley MD (301-774-6710) rebuilds Toploader Shifters and handles. If not have Randy do it ! He did have a web page on E Bay but can't find it