Glenmoor Gathering Canton OH

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought this was a pretty high class show but myself or my car have never been called an American Bastard at any other event. So the Cobra, Griffith, and Pantera owners get called this too? No thanks.....Eric

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Love Child may be less offensive?

Ford Motor Company and the Rootes Group never merged (married?) so "Bastard" may be rather offensive by I get it.

Later Chrysler made the commitment but still allowed Rootes to see Ford in regard to power plants on the side. We all knew that would not last :eek:

Rick

dude234

Gold forum user
If my car won its class I don't know if I would want to be awarded a trophy for, "Best American Bastard 2012"!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think they have tried to be a little tounge in cheek on the naming.. but probably havent thought it through much. As for the term bastard.. well it's true that fod didnt merge with rootes.. and while they did have a relationship with de tomaso (they agreed to bankroll part of the de tomasos, sell/service them via dealres and they bought Ghia) they were not ford products.. same goes for the cobra, TVR etc...

Also "american" bastards... wouldnt that imply both manufacturers were american? In theory we are in mixed race, half cast, hybrid teritory... american drivelines with european bodies... it's more transatlantic romance than bastard :p

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
I liked it but.. many may have been offended

The Title of this posting is mine.

Pasted in below is news that the Class will not be "American Bastards" after all.

Rick

Hello,

I tried to post a reply to your post, however, do not have access.

From reading the post thread here and to receiving feedback from other groups, we are in the process of changing the name for this class. An announcement will probably come next week.

As to the logic of the original name, we had no idea that it would be as polarizing as it has come to be. The logic behind the original name is in the rather lengthy response, which I leave up to you to post or not:

The term "American Bastards" serves several purposes. It was part of the European feeling at the time of the late 50's and early 60's when Americans were beginning to make a mark in formerly European dominated road racing. They were able to do it with cheaper cars, more reliable drive trains, and shoe string racing budgets. Yes, they beat factory sponsored Porsche, Ferrari, and goliath MBZ with cars that were built using a combination of "engin"uity and racing guts. The term "American Bastards" could be heard on any racing circuit mumbled as yet another
American car or American driver piloted a V8 powered special to victory.

These American Bastards also saw European dealers as they eagerly promoted cars to raise race money by leveraging the US wealth base to purchase de-tuned versions of race-bred cars like 300SLs, 250GTs, and 356's. The bastards also made street cars to earn race money - many of them starting with all the good stuff Europe had to offer but adding US engines. Shelby certainly was perhaps the most notable Bastard in the bunch.

From a strictly Euro-centric point of view, the term is a highly appropriate socio-economic statement regarding the lack of respect for cultural distinction against thoroughbred terminology and class
distinctions (A tradition dating back to the foundation of America as we separated from England). As Europe is known for their cast system (inclusive to royalty solely by birthright) the term "bastard" further distinguishes these cars as being outliers in the class war, allowing some manner of rogue mannerisms both in driving results (heavy engine pushing a light and delicate body) yet resulting in merit-based pride.

The moniker is surely to be misunderstood and thought of as gouache among many collectors who believe in the "value" of these cars as much as any of the larger brand vehicles. But part of their heritage and value is the acceptance of this socio-economic statement both for the cars and for those who chose to purchase them as new in the past and as collectors preserving the future. "American Bastards"
reminds us to recognize the risks these builders took as underdogs against the establishment, honoring their bravado on the road while celebrating meritocracy.

It is all the more appropriate that this class is featured at one of the leading "open" country clubs in the US that (from it's inception) had no limitations to the class, race, or religious associations in accepting any of its members. The Glenmoor event is unique and welcome invitation to celebrate with these cars on the lawn at Glenmoor could not be more appropriately placed.

Thank you for your patience reading this lengthy reply.

Jim Cowen
Curator for the to be named class
Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles 2012
Canton, OH