GT40 heads

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I am about to go to my local junk yard to look at some Mercury Mountaineers and Explorers to find some GT40 heads. I'd like to put them on my 289 block and I know that the GT40 (not GT40P) heads work with currently available Tiger headers. I also know that pushrods need to be different. Are there any other fitment problems like spark plug access for #8 or valve cover interference? Would the larger valves interfere with the stock pistons; if not what is the max cam lift allowable with GT40 heads and stock pistons? Probably will change pistons anyway. GT40 heads are readily available on pre-1997-1/2 Exporers and Mountaineers in the wrecking yards at a cheap price.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
John.
When I looked at the GT40 AND GT40P heads, all the info I found was only the P heads had a different angle to the spark plugs which is why you need to build your own headers. Another area I would look at is the port size and angle of the port floor. The exhaust flanges I used needed to be enlarged and the angle of the bottom of the port exit changed for the P heads. Pic's here http://www.catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=266
I don't know if this is the same for the GT40 heads, and if so do the cat headers have a large enough ports to allow for this.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anybody had the opportunity to use iron GT40 heads on their car? I know the GT40 “P” heads create a problem with headers etc; and there are a host of alternative styles of heads, but I am seeking information by users with the iron GT40 heads such as installation, fit, valve train issues, removal and installation of the Tiger finned valve covers when the engine is installed, and how you like them over all. I had a set on my 40 Ford street Rod pickup and I really liked them.
Brian

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is a guy in melbourne that has the iron gt40 heads iirc on his 289, runs stock valve covers and cast manifolds. Ill see if i can confirm

fluorescent7

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
GT40P heads

If you use shorty sparkplugs such as Accel P526S you can use these heads with enough clearance for many different headers. 90 degree plug boots with socks will also help. Some headers will need a slight massage which many heads have just to get to the header bolts. This will not affect performance that you will notice except maybe on a dyno.

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
GT40 heads on a Tiger

I saw this old posting that I started back in 2013 about GT40 heads for my Tiger. I thought I would add the latest info on installing these heads.

The GT40 heads are readily available from Explorer or Mountaineers in the wrecking yards. These were used in the mid nineties on the 5.0 V8, but there are two variations: early and late. The early heads are clearly marked "GT40" and have three raised bars in the casting that looks like "III" on the end of the head. These are the correct head for the Tiger V8. The later heads are marked with "GT40P" and have four raised bars in the casting that looks like "IIII". The later heads have an improved exhaust flow, but the plug holes were moved and re-orientated such that the new plug position caused a position conflict and with the Tiger exhaust manifold/headers in addition to the exhaust mounting face were slightly angled relative to the exhaust manifold/headers.

The "III" heads have a casting number of F1ZZ-AA and have a much larger combustion chamber of 63-66cc verses the 260/289 combustion chamber of 52-55cc. If you plan to use these heads you can select new pistons to accommodate the larger combustion chamber or have the heads milled. I had my milled .045" and had to adjust the intake bolt holes since the holes heads were positioned closer to the center line of the engine. No big deal, just grind a little off the inner side of the holes. I did have a problem because one of the matched set of heads was found to have a crack between valve seats when the machinist started the reconditioning. It was quite some time before another V8 Explorer was at my local yard so the project was delayed. We verified the combustion chamber size on both heads before did any milling or reconditioning. We figure that my 289 (.020 over pistons and milled GT40 heads) has about a 9.0 or 9.5 to 1 compression ratio. The engine was test run on a homemade stand for about an hour and re-torqued before installing the engine into the car. No problems. The car hasn't been driven yet so I haven't experienced the new power. In addition to the heads, there is a new Summit K3600 cam, headers and an aluminum billet distributor with a GM HEI head for electronic ignition. I expect a boost from 164hp (260cid) to about 260-275hp in the new (289cid) engine. After you mount the heads then you have to start the tedious job of determining the length of new pushrods. I don't remember what length I chose, but expect it will vary from engine to engine. Getting the right pushrods isn't near the problem of determining the length required. There is an adjustable pushrod tool that will get you close.

I'll post more after I get to drive it, soon I hope!

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gt40 heads

Thanks John for the update, looking forward to hearing more. I have a very nice set of these at home to be put on an extra engine. I also used them on a 40 Ford streetrod pickup I had and I was Very Happy with their performance. You will notice a difference for sure!
Brian