Hardtop Serial Numbers

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
A wise man once told me that the hardtops had a serial number stamped on the right side post. I bought my Tiger from Oklahoma, it is a LROFE and not a LRXFE. It came with a hardtop (14340). I just received some hardtop parts from the UK and this piece of the post came with the trim still attached. Thought it was interesting that they were just 43 numbers apart. Has anyone heard how many hardtop were made?
IMG_3591.jpeg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The late style hard top that was used on Tigers was first used starting with the series 3 Alpine and used thru out the production of Alpines as well as for Tigers. There was a change made to the size of the button for the quarter window latch and the tops for series 5 Alpines and MK 1 and MK 2 Tigers had a bracket to hook the two straps for the soft top boot cover. The tops were available to buy thru dealers and was standard on all GT Alpines since they did not have soft tops. Considering production of the series 3 Alpine started in January of 1963 and the same basic top regardless of the two changes would fit both Alpines and Tigers gosh only knows how many were made. Does the Archive have any idea of the number made ?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just stripped my hardtop... no numbers, But it is stamped "YY" I have absolutely no idea what that means. in the past I have rebuilt a couple of hardtops and they were numbered, but only had 4 digits, not 5.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
also stamped on the lower seal flange (rear window) in addition to the vertical flange for the RH qtr window

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
A wise man once told me that the hardtops had a serial number stamped on the right side post. I bought my Tiger from Oklahoma, it is a LROFE and not a LRXFE. It came with a hardtop (14340). I just received some hardtop parts from the UK and this piece of the post came with the trim still attached. Thought it was interesting that they were just 43 numbers apart. Has anyone heard how many hardtop were made? View attachment 17726
Mine is LRXFE and was purchased without the hardtop but the hardtop was purchased a year later , maybe the hardtops were on back order I think the O was for special factory options rather than the X designation. The stamped numbers (7668 on mine ) as already mention are on the right hand upright and is covered by the quarter light hinge

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Why doesn't some contact the Archives. They may have an answer.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Had a really good look at my hardtop as I just had it stripped. No stamping on the qtr window support either side, only stamped on the rear window channel (center bottom) Stamped "YY" I have another hardtop in the shop, so I'll have a look at it.

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Mine is LRXFE and was purchased without the hardtop but the hardtop was purchased a year later , maybe the hardtops were on back order I think the O was for special factory options rather than the X designation. The stamped numbers (7668 on mine ) as already mention are on the right hand upright and is covered by the quarter light hinge
The factory chassis coding system distinguished the European export version of the Tiger by using the chassis number suffix LROFE – Export (LHD), Roadster, Standard Specification, Ford Engine. As opposed to LRXFE where the 'X' denotes – non standard specifications ( North America ). The LROFE were called “Alpine 260” as there was a copyright issue in Germany and France with the “Tiger” name.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The other hardtop I have in the shop is stamped "1831" in the center bottom of the rear window pinch weld. no stamping at all on either qtr window vertical. One of the characters is quite a bit smaller (font) than the other three.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The other hardtop I have in the shop is stamped "1831" in the center bottom of the rear window pinch weld. no stamping at all on either qtr window vertical. One of the characters is quite a bit smaller (font) than the other three.
The same hard top was used starting with the series 3 Alpine and continued to be used until the end of production. There were a couple changes that included changing the size of the button on the quarter windows and the addition of the two tabs to secure the soft top cover straps of series 5 Alpines and MK1A and MK 2 Tigers. No one seems to know what the numbers mean and no one seems to have asked the Archives what they are. Could the number have designated the build sheet that told the color of the top and which car it was intended for or could the number show it to be intended for dealer stock? Tops were painted either black or white unless ordered to match a particular car color such as series 3,4 and 5 GT cars. All tops had a white head liner so that wouldn't have come into play.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All non GT supplied and non special order tops were Black. White tops were not a standard issue option.
The facts are that they were all the same except for a couple changes and they were painted many colors and used on several series of cars. What's your explanation for the numbers stamped on the tops?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The facts are that they were all the same except for a couple changes and they were painted many colors and used on several series of cars. What's your explanation for the numbers stamped on the tops?
Robert what "facts are"?

The FACT is that hardtops if not ordered with a car specially or on a GT which were colour matched to the body were all painted black by Rootes.. this system succeeds the series 3 cars .. all Series I/II were black unless specially ordered otherwise.... that's the FACT.

Your assertion they were sent from Rootes "as black or white" generically is wrong.

As for my explanation of the parts numbers, I don't have one, it could be to do with the changes in the drain rail channels..could be to do with the series of production.. they would not have been vin specific.

You often ask "what if's?" And question if the archive would know .... Maybe you should do some leg work on that

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert what "facts are"?

The FACT is that hardtops if not ordered with a car specially or on a GT which were colour matched to the body were all painted black by Rootes.. this system succeeds the series 3 cars .. all Series I/II were black unless specially ordered otherwise.... that's the FACT.

Your assertion they were sent from Rootes "as black or white" generically is wrong.

As for my explanation of the parts numbers, I don't have one, it could be to do with the changes in the drain rail channels..could be to do with the series of production.. they would not have been vin specific.

You often ask "what if's?" And question if the archive would know .... Maybe you should do some leg work on that
Think about this old proverb. "He who makes no mistakes has done nothing!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
All non GT supplied and non special order tops were Black. White tops were not a standard issue option.
That is my understanding as well. Unless you specifically ordered the hardtop with the car. (from the factory) it would be black. This is clearly stated in the print sales literature I have seen. I have seen three methods of numbering, or identifying the hardtops over the years. Numbering on the bottom center of the pinch weld at the rear window, Have two of these in the shop right now, one marked with letters and not numbered. 2nd type numbered on RH vertical hinge mount for qtr window AND #1 above. 3rd type numbered only on RH qtr window vertical hinge mount. There is no correlation with chassis numbers

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert... You must have been super busy
I'm very busy! I have a life, family, a couple businesses and many other things going on. Some folks find it hard to understand why I do it.
That is my understanding as well. Unless you specifically ordered the hardtop with the car. (from the factory) it would be black. This is clearly stated in the print sales literature I have seen. I have seen three methods of numbering, or identifying the hardtops over the years. Numbering on the bottom center of the pinch weld at the rear window, Have two of these in the shop right now, one marked with letters and not numbered. 2nd type numbered on RH vertical hinge mount for qtr window AND #1 above. 3rd type numbered only on RH qtr window vertical hinge mount. There is no correlation with chassis numbers
I'm having a hard time understanding why a series of numbers that are never seen once the windows are installed has become such an issue. Especially since it looks like no one has a clue why these numbers even exist. If folks live in the rust belt then the chance of numbers existing in the metal are next to nothing. Several of us had this conversation as well as a few laughs at the TE/AE get together at Cincinnati this past Saturday.