Heater core

richardbaum

New forum user
I'm a new Tiger owner and am in the middle of a cooling system renewal project. Can anyone offer advice on a new heater core? Does such a thing exist? Any advice certainly appreciated. Thanks much, Richard

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I am not sure if any are available, if not I would take your old one to a radiator shop to see if they can make one for you.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I posted a UK eBay link (NA) for a possible source of heater rad. core in the Possible source for heater blower and peripherals thread.

grelley

Silver forum user
Heater Core

I was recently quoted one from Sunbeam Specialties at what I thought was a very reasonable price. In the end the radiatior repair man had started to rebuild the old one using an early Holden (Aus GM) heater core which ended up considerably more expensive.
Grelley:

Warren

Gold forum user
heater core

I have a spare but it needs completer re ass'y I dropped it off at the rad. shop and he said it was a good parts one and I should be okay with my spare that he cleaned. I am in So. Cal. and am not sure what a fair price would be for a core core if you will. Mostly the end caps are bulged and needing repair.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
The old CAT Shop Notes have a nice tech tip to use when reinstalling the heater core .

The bulging of the end caps as most people know happens because the unit was built for the alpine cooling system that runs at considerably lower pressure (6 pounds or so?).

To prevent reoccurance of bulging and resultant leaks after a rebuild, you can strap a couple of square pieces of steel, like 1/8 inch sheet, the size of each end cap to each end with a couple of worm clamps. The bands encircle the entire core horizontally. The corners need to be bent into 90 drgree turns so a bit of trial and error to get that part right is involved. I used stainless steel ones for metal ventilation ducts from the hardware store. As I recall I had to put the worm part at the back in order to slip the entire unit into place. It just slipped into the hole. So far no more leaks.

Gene