Holes in the cowling

Jonesalicious

New forum user
CAT Member
So these 9 holes on the driver side of the cowling were there and nothing was attached before. Can anyone tell me if these are there for a reason or can I fill them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 163

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
looks like someone put a hood hold down pin for a fiberglass hood- the small forward threaded hole just holds a slotted screw-

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Threaded Hole

That threaded hole that Bryan mentioned was on all Tigers and there was a large flatheaded screw there. It wasn't used for anything on Tigers, but I believe it had a use on Alpines.

Welcome to the Forum, Jonesalicious!

Warren

Gold forum user
Ho yes

Just discussing that screw with Dale et al. The screw is unpainted and all the rest are surplus . I have the same hood pin holes but not as many... Be nice if you could add a state and town rather than United States.

Jonesalicious

New forum user
CAT Member
Im in Roseville CA. I’ve reposted the photo with the holes I’m talking about. None of these holes are threaded.

Attachments

• FBCB1634-D85E-4977-8BD3-89B5FEDACA0D.jpeg
    FBCB1634-D85E-4977-8BD3-89B5FEDACA0D.jpeg
    816.7 KB · Views: 100

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jones.. The area you circled will have been for bonnet pins.. Probably for a fibreglass LAT bonnet.

The large hole will have been the post the various small holes may have been a square inplate riveted ...usually they are round plates.. But have seen square.

s-l400.jpg

Attachments

• 20200312_133506~2.jpg
    20200312_133506~2.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 78

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
cowl

See attached picture of my car , There was never any hole , owner of the car since 1985 , restored in 1993 .!!!!

Warren wrong Québec Flag !!!!

Attachments

• 20200421_083138.jpg
    20200421_083138.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 122

Warren

Gold forum user
Tool of choice

Possibly the P.O. drilled dem extra holes to use a slide hammer AKA dent puller prior to a slathering of Bondo.
Thanks for adding your location .

KenF

Gold forum user
My 2¢

My guess is a hood pin stud that eventually broke loose and an attempted fix with a piece of sheet metal screwed down to replace the missing hole. If no signs of a hood pin stud on the right side, then I'm stumped. I'd fill/repair regardless.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
screw

Just discussing that screw with Dale et al. The screw is unpainted and all the rest are surplus . I have the same hood pin holes but not as many... Be nice if you could add a state and town rather than United States.

The screw is the main ground for the electrical system of an Alpine.