How-To Request: Wiring Voltmeter Correctly

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
OK. Just because I can usually replace a light bulb successfully, does not mean I consider myself adept when it comes to car wiring.

My Tiger has an alternator (Ford) but the original amp gauge. I'd like to install the brand-new Jaeger unit which I got from Rick at SS. I realize we're only talking about 2 wires here but....

Will one of you knowledgeable guys kindly guide me so I don't burn up my car?
Does the + wire go to one of the ignition switch contacts? If so, which one?
I assume I can ground the meter to any likely place behind the dashboard, yes?

I've searched for the answer to this but have not found it. Maybe my "search skills" need improvement, but that's another story. :)

Thanks very much for any help. This forum is great!

One last thing: the weather is finally getting decent in the Pacific NW and it's time to do the Tiger Boogie! My car is almost ready to go - pending detailing by me and Mr. Porter Cable.

MaineTiger

Bronze forum user
Do you mean that you want to replace your ammeter with a voltmeter or your present ammeter with a higher capacity ammeter? Voltmeters and ammeters are different kinds of gauges and have to be wired differently. If you are replacing one ammeter with another, it's simple. Disconnect the battery and just swap the two wires on the present ammeter to the new one. If, by some chance, you get them backward, you will see the result very quickly - the needle will simply deflect in the wrong direction.

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
Do you mean that you want to replace your ammeter with a voltmeter or your present ammeter with a higher capacity ammeter? Voltmeters and ammeters are different kinds of gauges and have to be wired differently. If you are replacing one ammeter with another, it's simple. Disconnect the battery and just swap the two wires on the present ammeter to the new one. If, by some chance, you get them backward, you will see the result very quickly - the needle will simply deflect in the wrong direction.

The original ammeter does not work with the new alternator conversion which replaced the original generator. I have a new Jaeger voltmeter which supposedly is what I need to work with the alternator.

Am I on the right track here or do I have my terminology mixed up? :) The red light in the dash (I'm reluctant to call it the "idiot light") works.

Thanks.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I just fitted a Smiths volt metre. These are the instructions I got with it.
My Tigers wiring is new from Rebel.

I hope it is of help. You want the gauge to work once you switch the ign on. Easy enough to work out where to connect it,

Mal

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
I just fitted a Smiths volt metre. These are the instructions I got with it.

I hope it is of help. You want the gauge to work once you switch the ign on. Easy enough to work out where to connect it,

Mal

Thank you, sir! This is perfect.

Paul