I was a member in the mid seventies

rpraymond

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I wrote this some years ago and beyond my wildest expectations the stars might be lining up for a complete restoration. I'm very excited.
My first car in high school was a Sunbeam Alpine that my father bought me for $50. I painted it, put a new top on it and rebuilt the hydraulics. I really enjoyed driving that car through our central New York area but when someone mentioned that Rootes made one with a V8 I knew I had to find one. I found one locally in 1973 or 4 but didn’t have the money that the owner was asking. I convinced my father to buy it.

For a few years we (mostly me) enjoyed terrorizing the locals with it until the 260 motor started to have low oil pressure when warm and a faint rod knock under acceleration.

I started to plan for a restoration buying new coil and leaf springs, suspension bushings, headers, Koni shocks and from the California Association of Tiger Owners (CAT) a very limited run of the optional fiberglass hood.

As with many restorations life got in the way with either no place, time or money to move forward.

Because I taught auto and small engine mechanics for 20 years I had the ability, and had planned to do the work myself when I retired but in 2001 started to have symptoms of what would be diagnosed as ALS and am now confined to a wheelchair. My father passed away in 2016.

I am no longer able to do the work myself and because my wife and I pay for all my in home help out of pocket so I can’t afford to have it restored.

As a tribute to my father I would love to hear the Tiger growl again

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I bought an abused Tiger in the early-mid 80s and drove it through college. Engine issues later sidelined the car, but I kept putting restoration and repair parts aside whenever I could. I kept thinking the engine swap would be 'next year'. 25+ years later, the time finally arrived, and I feature-creeped myself into a nut and bolt, top to bottom restoration (or resto-mod, to be more accurate).

I really hope your restoration happens, because I know how much you will really enjoy it. Please keep us updated of the progress!

rpraymond

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Woody6,

Thanks for the encouragement I'm very excited to think that it might be done just as I've been planning. I will certainly keep posting any progress. I believe that work will start in the fall.
I had 3 Tigers in my lifetime. The 66 was a beautiful shade of blue with blue interior. I attempted to restore it but at the time didn't have the appropriate facilitates so I sold it to buy the house I'm in which has garage space. I plan on using that color combination

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Feel free to tlk about your Tiger and what does it need? What parts are you going to need? Maybe some CAT members can help you with some of the parts. In general, where do you live, and maybe some members live nearby who could help out. I would certianly want too, except I live in New Mexico, which I assume is not close to you. Keep posting, your project is interesting. I too bought my Tiger in the 70's and kept it for many years before I finally restored it, so your situation sounds familiar. Good luck with your project, Cliff

rpraymond

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Cliff,
I and the car are in central NY. I plan on keeping the club well informed of any progress. The biggest things I need are all the rubbers and seals for like the doors. And a new wiring harness would be nice. Years ago, I bought, from the club new coil and leaf springs. Suspension bushings, headers and a limited run of the fiberglass hood.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cliff,
I and the car are in central NY. I plan on keeping the club well informed of any progress. The biggest things I need are all the rubbers and seals for like the doors. And a new wiring harness would be nice. Years ago, I bought, from the club new coil and leaf springs. Suspension bushings, headers and a limited run of the fiberglass hood.
All ( almost all ) the seals are available as pattern repro from Curt M at "classic sunbeam" in NY and Rick M at "sunbeam specialties" in Cali ... So you should be fine these days.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you're in central N.Y. you're not far from Classic Sunbeam which is located in Otego, N.Y. Curt has a toll free number of 800-247-8623.. Their regular number is 607-432-8623. Curt also sells new wiring harnesses. There are many members of Tigers East in your area and the TE/AE United will be held in Hamilton, Ontario starting September 15.