Installing Engine

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
So finally got the engine installed. This is the way it went. It took about 4 hour being a rookie and up there in age along there with my buddy tiger owner who is even further up there in age.
50 pounds of ballast in trunk as counter balance

Jack stands about 12 inches high located at front leaf spring mounts.

Trolley jack with 2x4 located at center of x frame.

Transmission mount removed ( bolts onto x frame )

Engine and transmission bolted on and sitting on a heavy duty 4 swiveling platform 4 1/2 inches high

The following were attached , generator mount harmonic balancer distributor cap water pump ( remove pulley) cast iron exhaust manifolds with gaskets remote oil filter with filter attached , spark plugs

Brake line and fuel line were put through trans tunnel. Speedo cable routed through frame and access plate removed from trans tunnel on drivers side

Engine mounts removed totally along with transmission mount

Use center jack to jacu up so front valance is 33 inches high to clear engine. The rear axle stand remained at the same height throughout the install Engine had to be mor towards the drivers inside initially so the generator bracket could clear the frame rails Then keep going down the tightest squeeze is the ex manifolds passing through the frame rails When they are through the engine can be rolled forward and letting the harmonic balancer into the radiator void
It is a combination of body down and up and engine rolling forward and back in order to get the transmission tail into the trans tunnel
Once tail is in the tunnel the engine mounts are attached to the engine and the body and engine are moved to line up the bolts Locate all front mounting bolts fully but not tight. Install transmission bracket to x frame then install speedo into transmission. Then install transmission mount I tightened engine mounting bolts then transmission bolts
Having the exhaust gaskets on does make it a tighter squeeze
The counter balance allows the front end to be moved easily up or down manually by one person
Good luck ask questions if needed

Last edited:

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
5995CB2B-31E8-4D4D-8B90-28B35A94506D.jpeg

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks like a career opportunity, bet there are many of us needing you help soon. I like your post