LAT-70 original mag wheels

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thrity years ago while teaching my daughter how to drive a stick shift, we had a mishap where she did a 4 wheel drift into a curb breaking one on the precious original mag wheels. It kind of reminds me of the centerless wheels on my old 39' Ford. I still only have 3 good ones and a shattered 4th. Are there any good originals left or should I just buy a whole new set from Rick at SS?

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
lat wheel

Hi, I had the same issue and eventually found my fourth lat wheel.
You can narrow down your search by figuring out which lat wheel you have. There are three kinds- a small diameter hub and two kinds with a larger diameter hub and two different hub lengths.

There has been a lot written about how hard these lat wheels are to balance since they were sand cast and pretty crude. The guy that put the tires on mine was able to get them balanced with no problem but I don't really push the car that hard so maybe at high speeds I would have a different opinion.

On the freeway at normal speeds it's pretty smooth.

regards
Bob Josten

atallamcs

Bronze forum user
Lat Wheels

I suggest you buy new ones. I think it was 1992 when there was a change in wheel construction standards--hence the new wheels are probably built to a higher standard.
Bill

rootes1

Silver forum user
LAT-70

Thrity years ago while teaching my daughter how to drive a stick shift, we had a mishap where she did a 4 wheel drift into a curb breaking one on the precious original mag wheels. It kind of reminds me of the centerless wheels on my old 39' Ford. I still only have 3 good ones and a shattered 4th. Are there any good originals left or should I just buy a whole new set from Rick at SS?

If you can send some pictures of the other wheels, I might be ale to help you with a single, original wheel.