LAT 73 Header Thermal Coating

mtnindy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Happy New Year everyone,

I'm purchasing a set of reproduction LAT 73 headers and want to have them thermal coated.

Two questions.
1. Will I get dinged at concours (stock class) for coating the headers?
2. If not, what color were the original LAT 73 headers?

I have to pony up the cash for the headers and coating soon, so timely feedback will be most appreciated.
Cheers
B

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The original Ballangers I bought in the 70's were painted black, which peeled off as soon as used.

Warren

Gold forum user
Robert, I can totally relate. I recall many a time getting out the brush and BBQ black . Like to see Carley's old car in a my Tiger's story. Is that what has the header's on it?

This has been brought up on the email list.

Brian is talking about the new CAT parts replica headers I was going to buy a set for the MK2 but the timing was off. If I was putting together a stock car I'd be really interested in bolt on HP.

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looking at the sheen in some of the old catalog photos they do look like they could be satin black. Difficult to tell if they really were, or just retouched to look nice.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Robert, I can totally relate. I recall many a time getting out the brush and BBQ black . Like to see Carley's old car in a my Tiger's story. Is that what has the header's on it?

This has been brought up on the email list.

Brian is talking about the new CAT parts replica headers I was going to buy a set for the MK2 but the timing was off. If I was putting together a stock car I'd be really interested in bolt on HP.
Yes the "Carley car" is just about done and I hope to drive it this summer. Headers are the first pre-production set of the new CAT LAT 73 Ballengers, and I had them ceramic coated flat black

20220824_101630.jpg

20220912_144621.jpg

20220906_190659.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Looks great, can't tell if that's the black Tiger. As for the flat black and Brian's question. The current judging guidelines what was decided by the clubs is in the January and February of 2018 Tiger Tales archives.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Looks great, can't tell if that's the black Tiger. As for the flat black and Brian's question. The current judging guidelines what was decided by the clubs is in the January and February of 2018 Tiger Tales archives.
Still the original black, and rebuilt mostly stockish with a few LAT bits

20220912_141938.jpg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Happy New Year everyone,

I'm purchasing a set of reproduction LAT 73 headers and want to have them thermal coated.

Two questions.

I have to pony up the cash for the headers and coating soon, so timely feedback will be most appreciated.
Cheers
B
Did you get your question answered ? Sorry I don’t know the answer

mgmike69

Bronze forum user
Happy New Year everyone,

Two questions.

Cheers
B
I suspect that most thermal barrier coating shops have a variety of colors available.I'd be surprised if flat back or gloss black wouldn't be available