LED Turn Signal Issue

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm having a slight issue with the dashboard turn signal indicator in converting to LED bulbs.

I have changed the exterior bulbs to LEDs and am using a LED compatible flasher unit. With this arrangement, the exterior bulbs all work correctly bit if I put an LED bulb in the dash indicator, It glows very faintly all the time the ignition is on but does not blink with the lights.

If I change the dash bulb to incandescent, the exterior bulbs do not work at all, nor does the dash bulb.

In either of these arrangements, if I swap the flasher unit to an old school unit the exterior bulbs come on but stay on and do not blink. This confirms that an LED flasher is needed but I would like the dash light to blink as well.

I have a new SS harness and everything in the circuit checks out according to the wiring diagram. Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance

GPNVCAT

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I fought the same fight with my car. Ordered the LED bulbs and flasher and had no success in any iteration. The problem I discovered was that the 1157 LED bulbs did not have isolated sections of LED illuminators. So my assumption is that the current crosses over and confuses the current. I went back to filament bulbs in the turn signals only, front and rear, and LED everywhere else and stock LUCAS flasher and everything works as it should. Hope this helps.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, I'm glad I was not missing something obvious. Your solution makes sense and I would still have LED bulbs were they are more important and stay on longer with the parking and brake lights.

Another remedy I'm considering is jumping wires from the feeds to the exterior bulbs and running them each through diodes to the indicator light. The diodes would prevent the current from crossing over to the other side and having all bulbs blink. With LEDs the current is so low so I don't think I would be creating any problems. On the other hand this is electrical stuff which never comes easy to me.

GPNVCAT

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, I'm glad I was not missing something obvious. Your solution makes sense and I would still have LED bulbs were they are more important and stay on longer with the parking and brake lights.

Another remedy I'm considering is jumping wires from the feeds to the exterior bulbs and running them each through diodes to the indicator light. The diodes would prevent the current from crossing over to the other side and having all bulbs blink. With LEDs the current is so low so I don't think I would be creating any problems. On the other hand this is electrical stuff which never comes easy to me.
I have a laminated wiring diagram I bought off Amazon and it really helped me to understand the route of current. I’m no electrician (plumber lol) so it took me an afternoon to figure it out. My signals flash along with the dash light, albeit quickly. I’m more than satisfied with the outcome.
Where are you located?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I’m curious if the available full sized printed circuit LED replacements will have the same issue, OR has the circuit routing been addressed?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a laminated wiring diagram I bought off Amazon and it really helped me to understand the route of current. I’m no electrician (plumber lol) so it took me an afternoon to figure it out. My signals flash along with the dash light, albeit quickly. I’m more than satisfied with the outcome.
Where are you located?
I'm in Southern California. I have the large laminated CAT wiring diagrams and they are very helpful. I don't want to think about how many hours I've spent looking at them but everything is right there and eventually I get it.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No, I'm finishing up my resto and was hoping to be done for this years TU but I'm not quite ready.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I’m curious if the available full sized printed circuit LED replacements will have the same issue, OR has the circuit routing been addressed?
Just received a set from Vintage LED, but in conversation with Greg who makes them said it just needed the LED flasher, nothing else mentioned.

Sandy

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm having a slight issue with the dashboard turn signal indicator in converting to LED bulbs.

I have changed the exterior bulbs to LEDs and am using a LED compatible flasher unit. With this arrangement, the exterior bulbs all work correctly bit if I put an LED bulb in the dash indicator, It glows very faintly all the time the ignition is on but does not blink with the lights.

If I change the dash bulb to incandescent, the exterior bulbs do not work at all, nor does the dash bulb.

In either of these arrangements, if I swap the flasher unit to an old school unit the exterior bulbs come on but stay on and do not blink. This confirms that an LED flasher is needed but I would like the dash light to blink as well.

I have a new SS harness and everything in the circuit checks out according to the wiring diagram. Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance
When you say LED compatible flasher their are a few styles. I think all must have an external ground to work.

As I recall the Tiger uses a three prong with the P connection for the "pilot" bulb. It's a different flasher then more common 2 pin.

Don't know how the LED 1157 bulbs are built but they should have a common ground to both filaments, not sure if anything else.

More generic info here https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/flashers-turn-signal.html

Sandy

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just got it together today and did manage to keep everything LED.

Sandy, I did look at the section on turn signals and flashers on your site and it was very helpful.

What worked for me was going to a two prong LED compatible flasher, not using the light green/purple wire that goes from the flasher to the indicator on the dash and instead tapping into the wiring going to the external lights and running each of them through a diode to the dash light. The left and right wires coming out of the turn signal each split at a double bullet connector to go to both the front and rear. Conveniently, that leaves an opening available in each of the connectors making for an easy place to tap off of and run to the dash light. The right side connector is right near the steering column and the left side is above the dipper switch.
The two prongs on the flasher connect as follows:
The "B" terminal goes to a green 12V supply wire.
The "L" terminal goes to the outgoing light green/brown wire which goes to the indicator switch.
I had to rearrange the two wires on the flasher receptacle so they would be in the correct orientation for the new two prong flasher but everything is working correctly now. I got an adjustable flasher unit so I could set the frequency to where I was happy with it, something near how I remember Mr. Lucas' arrangement worked.

Also, for the record, all of the turn signal bulbs are single filament. The 1157 dual filament bulbs are used for the parking/brake lights.

Last edited:

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Took a quick look at the Tiger LED lamp replacements from Vintage, they are really well made, conformal coated to keep out the moisture. I did notice on both the front and back they have either discrete diodes or what looks like a bridge rectifier. I'm guessing this has to do with some of the issues you may have found. My guess is that the wiring is just not great and to make it work always it may have had to use diodes. Who knows, but just what I see on them. I think for me these are the way to go, no fussing with sockets on my old tail lights. Will be a while before I try them, will post when I do.

Glad some of the website stuff helped!

Sandy

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I used the LED panels from Vintage LEDs and have been very happy with them. I had no issues using their electronic flasher unit and the incandescent bulb in the dash indicator. The lights are quite bright, the parking lights can be very effective as daytime running lights.

Here is my install. Note that I had the LED panel and gasket assembled in the wrong order in one picture.
http://hermitagewood.com/tiger/index.php?blg=2018_1101_electrical

Last edited: