LEW SPENCER: SOME THOUGHTS ON BRIAN GLENN'S GREAT STORY ON HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTORS

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here are my thoughts on the great story on High Performance Motors in the latest Tiger Tales:

I have been a big fan of the late Lew Spencer since the late ‘80s, when Dan W. first told me about him and the Shelby Tiger. So before my Sunbeam memories fade completely away, here are some notes:
Lew Spencer made his name as the West Coast Morgan dealer and racer. In addition, according to the late auto historian, Art Evans, Spencer had a Rootes dealership, where he raced and promoted Sunbeam Alpines. Lew’s dealership (shop?) was in West LA, just off Sepulveda Boulevard. My grandfather had a business a block away, and my late father recalls a guy zooming around the neighborhood in British sport cars (Lew).
I was told by Lew himself (LA Shelby Club meeting mid-90s) that he sold Rootes cars, not just Tigers, at the short-lived, High Performance Motors.

Lew wasn’t the only person to race Alpines (#45), and continued on to race Shelby cars. The great Ken Miles (#50), Gerry Titus (#63), Jim Adams, Davy Jordan, and Peter Harper.

Lew was part of the 1962 Rootes factory team that raced in the 12 Hours of Sebring. Although he was teamed up with Miles (#42) at some point, more than likely a practice, Lew got in my Sebring Alpine (#43). When I spoke to Lew by phone in the late 1990s, he told me that the only thing he recalled was that the British drivers Proctor and Harper were significantly faster than the U.S. – based drivers.

The late Dave Herding, CAT founding member, and possibly first Tiger Tales editor, told me that he bought his (black?) ’65 Tiger new from Lew Spencer at High Performance Motors. At the time, he asked Lew to have LAT Stewart Warner tachometer installed. After old age caught up with Dave, he sold his Tiger (then bought a new Corvette). He asked me to stop by his home to pick up some spare parts he wanted to get rid of. The LAT tach was among these parts. He had removed it from his Tiger at some point. The “Lew Spencer/Dave Herding tach” now sits in my ’66 Mark 1A Tiger.

Lastly, I think our own Buck at the Beach used to race sail boats against Lew here in the South Bay. I could totally be wrong about this—like I said my memories are fading. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Steven Alcala
DSCN7861.JPG
DSCN7855.JPG
DSCN7854.JPG
DSCN7862.JPG
DSCN7863.JPG
DSCN7860.JPG
DSCN7857.JPG
DSCN7858.JPG
DSCN7867.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steve,

Thanks for sharing your memories, and those wondeful photos. The colour one of ken amd steve ive not seen before...what a fantastic shot of rootes usa scca racing history.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
This is some pretty wonderful history.... Pity it's not written down in a book somewhere... at least not one that I currently have :)

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I made a repo anodized aluminium ring to fit that Sun tach in the Tiger dash

My car #1051 is mentioned in that Brian Glenn article not only as one of the Tigers sold by HPM new, but the last car sold by HPM as a used car before they closed

Warren

Gold forum user
I made a repo anodized aluminium ring to fit that Sun tach in the Tiger dash

My car #1051 is mentioned in that Brian Glenn article not only as one of the Tigers sold by HPM new, but the last car sold by HPM as a used car before they closed
And that car sat 30' in the air on a pallet rack for 25 year's. Next door to a former Indy car driver Phil Caliva. He wrenched on Mr. Carley's other driver Tiger.
Then Phil moved subletting to a car dealer Tiger/Shelby owner who said Warren go look at these cars. There's a Alpine front clip Robert has been asking for and in the background of my picture is the aforementioned Black Tiger....
And that's the rest of the story mostly;)

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yup,
Lew, Kas Kastner and myself all raced sail boats against each other in Marina del Rey starting in the late sixties and continuing for decades. Sometimes we'd crew for each other. And we'd swap "tweaks" we made to make our boats quicker.

Our group broke up when Kas moved down to Oceanside and Lew's wife's job forced them to move back east and leave Shelby with whom Lew had worked for 30 years. Carroll was not happy about losing Lew.

Eventually Lew and his wife relocated to Frisco, Texas, near Dallas. There Lew kept on the water by rowing his single scull on nearby lakes in the early morning hours.

Buck