Looking For a L.A. Stainless Steel Exhaust Fabricator

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone know of someone who does custom stainless exhaust work in the L.A. area? I have installed Trim-Y headers and need the down tubes fabricated and the rest of the system done in 2.5" stainless steel. I had found someone in Irvine who does amazing work but unfortunately he is out of commission for a while. I also contacted RC Customs in the Valencia area who did this exact job for Doug Courtney a few years ago and it looked great. The shop is backed up until around August and I really don't want to wait that long.
Outside of them and to my surprise and frustration, I haven't been able to find anyone locally who works with stainless.
Any leads appreciated

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had the headers done for my car in stainless (not stock engine) at a place called Mayhem Metal Works in Simi Valley, here is their site - https://mayhemmetalworks.com/

The guy that owns the place is Andrew, the fellow that did the fabrication did a really good job on my set given the constraints of cramming a 1 7/8" tube. All stainless. Not inexpensive but got it done quick.

20220402_114709.jpg

20220407_092707.jpg

20220407_092718.jpg

20220407_092725.jpg

20220407_092730.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone know of someone who does custom stainless exhaust work in the L.A. area? I have installed Trim-Y headers and need the down tubes fabricated and the rest of the system done in 2.5" stainless steel. I had found someone in Irvine who does amazing work but unfortunately he is out of commission for a while. I also contacted RC Customs in the Valencia area who did this exact job for Doug Courtney a few years ago and it looked great. The shop is backed up until around August and I really don't want to wait that long.
Outside of them and to my surprise and frustration, I haven't been able to find anyone locally who works with stainless.
Any leads appreciated
Theo.. Maybe have some done in mild steel do you can get the car on the road and running..book into your stainless place for august and you will have a full pattern for them....

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Theo.. Maybe have some done in mild steel do you can get the car on the road and running..book into your stainless place for august and you will have a full pattern for them....
That’s what I would do. What is the big deal about using stainless?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did consider that but having someone fabricate the third "Ys" for the Tri-Ys is a little involved for a placeholder.
I did find a guy in the Torrance area who works in stainless but he practically talked me out of doing it. He says, unlike mild steel, modern aluminized exhaust tube does have a very good life span. Another alternative is ceramic coating which provides very good corrosion resistance. I'm leaning in that direction.
That’s what I would do. What is the big deal about using stainless?
Stainless steel does not corrode so it basically lasts forever without changing appearance, which is good to start as can be seen in Sandy's photos above. The issue with fabricating exhaust systems with it is that stainless pipe can not be bent on muffler shop equipment so the system has to be pieced together from preexisting bends, often segmented meaning much more labor. The end result is great as can be seen with Sandy's headers.

Sandy - Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
I had a set of glass pack mufflers and complete 2" in mild steel. 2 muffler shops were not interested at all in fitting them . I told them what ever your hourly rate is and they still refused. The old for sale thread is still here, hope I marked sold :)
Rix260 bought em. The last shop said that the mild steel won't last. But I'd expect at least 10 years.

Sweeneys on Sepulveda tried to pitch me on the aluminized stuff as well.

Maybe the lowriders with added holes let's the water find the easy way out :)
Some of my old bikes had drain holes in the pipes. The ones that didn't became a mess.