Looking for details on a Colorado Tiger

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This one here:
1966-Sunbeam-Tiger-Blue-slideshow-003.jpg

I got a message from a UK tiger owner that would like to know what color blue this is. Looks a bit darker than Mediterranean Blue usually appears.

As the link shows, the image comes from Farland Cars, so they may have been involved in the restoration and paint but apparently they don't have details on the color spec.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Ford Light Blue ? Maybe one that accidentally got its engine and body painted blue instead of black šŸ˜Š

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This one here:
1966-Sunbeam-Tiger-Blue-slideshow-003.jpg

I got a message from a UK tiger owner that would like to know what color blue this is. Looks a bit darker than Mediterranean Blue usually appears.

As the link shows, the image comes from Farland Cars, so they may have been involved in the restoration and paint but apparently they don't have details on the color spec.
Med Blue #100

Always neat to have a few together and compare shades. Mine was painted using Jan Servaites painted CD as reference. Relatively speaking seems to have a bit more color (blue) in it relative to couple others when placed side by side. But alas, it also hit almost exactly on original color found inside the car (heater core cover, bench, under dash, under chipped headlight rim paint. Daughter last year sunset. Driveway shade. Other med at auction. Sometimes If expect a bit less blue and muted putty in it, as the other colors of era.

16840966-976F-4766-96FE-D7A663BDE9BF.jpeg

8BEAD7D8-06F8-41BA-8965-C06B0E7DDE70.jpeg

C95DFC6B-5393-4C0C-BD98-2ABBC8FFCE4E.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Derek, they 14" vto versions of the american libre wheels you have in the sunset pic?

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Derek, they 14" vto versions of the american libre wheels you have in the sunset pic?
Hi Michael,
Nope. They are AR Libra 14". But frankly, i think they (Dad?) did something with bolt hole pattern to make them fit. I should get them refinished and looked at. Somedayyyyy

Warren

Gold forum user
It sort looks like a Temecula California car PO McCafferty that went to Canada R. Stein.
As I recall in person it was a turquoise looking color.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Michael,
Nope. They are AR Libra 14". But frankly, i think they (Dad?) did something with bolt hole pattern to make them fit. I should get them refinished and looked at. Somedayyyyy
Ah... Well if they are original AR 14" libre they will be the datsun ones.. So likely they redrilled a set of 4 x 4.5 (114.3) and put in collars to centre the 4.25 pcd ... Look great.
Hope you are keeping well

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think Mediterranean Blue is one of those colours that can change significantly with the light and the quality of the camera. My Tiger is Med. Blue (former McGaffey) and pretty well the same as the Derek's car above. I have been told it is a touch too blue and have noticed that when parked to other Med. Blue cars, but I like the slightly deeper shade. Here are two shots of my car. The first picture to me represents the car fairly well. The second picture on the lake makes it look darker than it really is. You have to see and compare the cars live.

NY United.jpg

IMG_68851.jpg

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's another one from Nova Scotia. The owner sent me a couple of pictures and you wouldn't know it is the same car..... That's not a repaint.....

Dave Munroe Tiger Waverley, Nova Scotia (3).jpg

Dave Munroe Tiger Waverley, Nova Scotia.jpg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Mediterranean blue is a lot like Healey blue... when you go to car shows every car is a slightly different shade. You also have to take into account variations due to paint technique and mixing, as well as paint manufacturer

bigmac

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Wondering where the initial picture came from, never any link to "Farland cars"? I wish I knew the before picture on that particular car, it looks like our first Tiger we bought in 2003. It was from CO and same color, 14" Minilites, stock appearing exhaust etc. We sold it in 2006 and I saw it on some kind of UKcars.com deal that was not really an up to date source for classifieds. The car presented well but had some bubbling in the rockers, would of needed some resto. I do not see it in the lead pic, but car retained its original "GOOD" metal dealership emblem on the left side of the trunk. The thinking at the time was some kind of dealer in KS which would make some sense with the proximity to CO.
Car was purchased through good old Hemmings, the good ol phone call and mail me some pics etc. We really enjoyed that car, borrowing a friends truck/trailer and driving through the mountain passes in Colorado before coming back to TX. Should of kept that one...
Although, now two great daughters, same wife (then girlfriend), and two project Tigers. Sorry for the ramble, I do not post much. Dave

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wondering where the initial picture came from, never any link to "Farland cars"? I wish I knew the before picture on that particular car, it looks like our first Tiger we bought in 2003. It was from CO and same color, 14" Minilites, stock appearing exhaust etc. We sold it in 2006 and I saw it on some kind of UKcars.com deal that was not really an up to date source for classifieds. The car presented well but had some bubbling in the rockers, would of needed some resto. I do not see it in the lead pic, but car retained its original "GOOD" metal dealership emblem on the left side of the trunk. The thinking at the time was some kind of dealer in KS which would make some sense with the proximity to CO.
Car was purchased through good old Hemmings, the good ol phone call and mail me some pics etc. We really enjoyed that car, borrowing a friends truck/trailer and driving through the mountain passes in Colorado before coming back to TX. Should of kept that one...
Although, now two great daughters, same wife (then girlfriend), and two project Tigers. Sorry for the ramble, I do not post much. Dave
The original photo was linked to me by the author of an email - it was a Bing search result. The image itself is resident on the Farland cars website, but it's not available through their current project listings, so maybe it's an older project of theirs. Farland Cars' website: https://farlandcars.com

Last edited: