Looking for My Dads Tiger

Graham

Bronze forum user
Hey all!

Wanted thank all of the contributors and members for the hours of reading, pictures and videos I'll be soaking up for the foreseeable future and also put out some feelers in the hopes that a very special car to me is alive and well; Even more importantly, possibly get to opportunity to speak to the current owner.

I'm looking for a 66 Tiger, not sure which color code Red. Fairly certain she's a MkII... Sold in 1992-93 in Almaden, Ca. By my dad, Jack Bambeck. One pretty unique identifier that I believe was still there at the time of the sale was a switch on the dash that didn't belong. It was a red toggle switch with a label over it that said "Boost". It was there when he acquired the Tiger and I don't recall it being removed.

He was a member of a Tiger Club, I don't recall exactly but, I believe it was Tiger Club of California? We went to some meetings and rides with that club and it was amazing. I was 11 or 12 at the time, now being 42 and never forgetting that car, I would absolutely love to know how she's doing and possibly see some current pictures.

Looking forward to reading all there is here and talking with folks who without a doubt love these cars as much as I do.

-Graham

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
These are build dates.... although there are several differences between MK1 and MK1a

CAT Tiger Tales 1968 reference 01.png

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
These are build dates.... although there are several differences between MK1 and MK1a

View attachment 16925
The attachments is not entirely correct.... there were massive changes between a Mk1 shell and a MK1a shell... Specifically the use of the Series V Alpine type body shell... Rootes called them all Mk1's, but all B382 cars have a vinyl top cover and footwell vents, and after the first few have square corners on all removeable panels. There were mechanical differences as well, and of course, all of the Mk1a cars had pebble grain GT type interiors

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
The attachments is not entirely correct.... there were massive changes between a Mk1 shell and a MK1a shell... Specifically the use of the Series V Alpine type body shell... Rootes called them all Mk1's, but all B382 cars have a vinyl top cover and footwell vents, and after the first few have square corners on all removeable panels. There were mechanical differences as well, and of course, all of the Mk1a cars had pebble grain GT type interiors
All true but I didn’t think the poster needed that much detail. The body changeover was started in the ~3000 range of MK1’s going to sq doors and hood and the trunk is square around B382000800 give or take

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The year shown on the vehicle registration has only a passing resemblence to the manufacturing date of the car. I do not believe Sunbeam used model years in describing their cars. As an example, my car was manufactured at the end of December 1966. When I bought my car in 1970 here in California, the pink slip said the car was a 1968 model, sold new in California in 1967. I surmise the selling dealer called it a 1968 when it was sold. However, the person I bought it from said he had bought it from the original purchaser, so it is conceivable that there was a change in pink slip info after the original purchaser sold the car to the person from whom I bought the car.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A photo of your dad's car will help ID what it is. And maybe the registration plate . Or better VIN to help track it's life post sale

Graham

Bronze forum user
A photo of your dad's car will help ID what it is. And maybe the registration plate . Or better VIN to help track it's life post sale
A VIN may be possible however, he's in his 80's and to put it gently in his last stages of life. I'm not sure he would even remember his Tiger/ favorite car let alone where he would have pictures of it. I'll see if I can find more specific identifiers and post them if possible.

I appreciate the attention to the post and willingness to help from you folks. I may not own one but, I am in love with these cars just like you lucky fellas are.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Graham,
We checked CAT's historic membership records for every person who was ever a member of CAT. Jay Leno was listed but Jack Bambeck was not. Sorry, but we gave it a shot.
I'd suggest checking with the STOA Tiger club in the bay area. https://sunbeamtiger.org/
Buck

Graham

Bronze forum user
Hi Graham,
We checked CAT's historic membership records for every person who was ever a member of CAT. Jay Leno was listed but Jack Bambeck was not. Sorry, but we gave it a shot.
I'd suggest checking with the STOA Tiger club in the bay area. https://sunbeamtiger.org/
Buck
Thank you very much for taking the time to look that up, I certainly appreciate it. I can't be sure he was a member but, I recall going to some club meets/meetings and cruises with many Alpines and Tigers. His first name is John, he goes by Jack. I'm sure the last name would have popped up no matter what; Just like the Tigers, we're a rare breed here lol.

I doubt the owner he acquired it from is watching or even still alive but, I'll add that he took ownership of the car after a real-estate sale in which he was the agent in 1990-91 around the San Jose area.

Again, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to look for any record. Crazy how much we care about these cars!

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Graham,
I reached out to one of the founding members of the STOA, Tom Hall, wondering what he may have remembered about a red Tiger from the early 90s. Here's his response:

"I found "Jack" in our 1990 Roster and he lived near the north end of Trinidad Drive. He wasn't active enough that I remember his name, nor do I remember a red Tiger with a "boost" switch. He must have sold just before we started the TAC Program, so no ID info that I know of. Sorry, need more specific info."

The last resort I can think of would be the files kept by Norm Miller. However Norm suffered a serious medical condition and access to his materials now rests with Bill Martin at Rootes Group. I don't know Bill's position towards accessing Norm's files nor even if there is any information in the files regarding your dad.

good luck,
Buck
Admin

Graham

Bronze forum user
Hi Graham,
I reached out to one of the founding members of the STOA, Tom Hall, wondering what he may have remembered about a red Tiger from the early 90s. Here's his response:

"I found "Jack" in our 1990 Roster and he lived near the north end of Trinidad Drive. He wasn't active enough that I remember his name, nor do I remember a red Tiger with a "boost" switch. He must have sold just before we started the TAC Program, so no ID info that I know of. Sorry, need more specific info."

The last resort I can think of would be the files kept by Norm Miller. However Norm suffered a serious medical condition and access to his materials now rests with Bill Martin at Rootes Group. I don't know Bill's position towards accessing Norm's files nor even if there is any information in the files regarding your dad.

good luck,
Buck
Admin
That was us on Trinidad. Thank you very much for the continued effort. I truly appreciate it! I'll reach out to Mr. Martin.

Thank you again!
Graham