Lowering Front Springs????????

oldfartrod

New forum user
Can somebody tell me where I can buy Coils to lower the front of my 66 MK1A about 1 1/2 inches, on many occasions in the past I have cut coils but don't want to wreck the originals,in this case, thanks

Cal44

Gold forum user
Dales sells coils with a one inch drop engineered into the spring. I think they are 450's. I will be installing mine next week. I bought front and rear.

I dropped my '70 Mustang about an inch and a half. Should have stuck with one inch. Remember when you cut coils it increases the spring rate and decreases the travel. I think I have that correct............

I don't think cutting Alpine v8 coils is an option. Without heading to the garage I remember the coils are flat on both ends.

Mike

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user

I don't think cutting Alpine v8 coils is an option. Without heading to the garage I remember the coils are flat on both ends.

Mike

When I bought my car, the coils had been cut...obviously too much as each side had a couple of aluminum coils spacers wound into them to try and gain some back :( ... you're right, they ARE tapered until someone torches them straight off ! That blunt end was digging a hole in the top doughnut ! Needless to say, the thing rode like a truck !!

You can get the car a little lower by cutting that top rubber doughnut down some... I wouldn't get rid of it altogether although I know some who have...
I think one of the best ways to lower the car without any suspension compromise is to run 'dropped' spindles from a later model Minx... unfortunately, the U.S. spec cars didn't come with them... only U.K. , N.Z. , OZ and Canadian cars got them. I have a set on my car ( lowers it 7/8" ) and have spent considerable time and effort sourcing them from those countries. I've acquired and sold about a dozen sets in the last couple years and will have another set soon...

Jim
B382000446

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
There are two ways to lower the front end....If you can find a set of Hillman Minx
spindles they will lower the front 7/8" due to the axle location. This option is pricey
since the last set that I missed out on Ebay sold over my $850 bid !! The other
option is Dales springs which lower the front about an inch. I have a set of Dale's fronts and rears sitting in the shop waiting to go on my Tiger and I would replace
everything at once. The rears are much more robust than the originals as are the fronts and expect to pay around $800 front and rear.

Bill D

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lower that nose, she said.

From my long gone racing days, I have a set of lower A-arms with a drop-cup welded in them that nicely lowered the car without sacrificing spring & suspension travel. It needs the higher available spring rate and a front end re-alignment of course. If you want photos or buy em', give me a holler. randy

oldfartrod

New forum user
Hi Randy,as to some of the other answers I do know what the coils look like that's why I am not cutting them,I am interested in a drop pocket lower a-arm but want to keep mine stock,do you have the higher rate springs as well to go with the lower a-arms????What are you wanting for the package? thanks Rod

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Private Message (PM)

These last two posts are a good examples of things which PM works well and privately to communicate. Exchange E-mail addresses or something.

A post on the General Interest Forum should not be used for one on one business or offering specific parts or services.

Rick
CAT WWW

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
the shame of it all

With apologies to all for the way I worded my last insert. My aim is to offer up bits of experience & knowledge from the bloody knuckles education system. Let humor prevail . . . . . . .randy

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For the curious only

Photo and dimensions availble for the curious and inovative experimentors.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Cake and eat it?

From post above (italics added): "...that nicely lowered the car without sacrificing spring & suspension travel."

I was curious as to how the mod would do both? With gap between A arm bump stop and crossmember unmodified? The geometry is unchanged? i.e. the location of axle is same in relation to A arms.

Rick

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not the ideal

The geometry does, of course, change and requires the higher spring rate and a tougher shock like the special 1-3/8" gas piston to keep that bump stop from getting aged before it's time. The same thing happens with the shortened spring trick. Re-alignment specs will be affected by terrain driving habits, and the smart driver always "reads" the tyres to see where it needs to be kicked. I never had a bottoming experience with the bump stop, so I'd have to say it was not a problem. It all worked fine at the time (them 60's) and the car sat neatly with it's nose-down attitude. The valence remained unhurt but I had to find a new spot for a front plate. The ideal solution remains to find the dropped spindels. r

rab123

Bronze forum user
Spring sources

A couple other spring sources. tigerengineering.net has springs and many other things. I got my new front springs from Coil Spring specialties in Kansas (google search should find them). My car was not stock, and was lowered when I got the car, the Coil Spring Specialties springs I recieved were 450# and the height seems to be the same height as before (whick I am sure was lowered some). At the time Coil Spring Specialties which much less expensive than the other sources I found.

Randy B.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dale's front coils helped with my car and then instead of using the thick coil spring rubber insulator pad, I purchased a spring pad for a mustang II. The mustang II insulator lowers the front end about another .5 inches, the car still isn't riding as low as I'd like but looks a hell of alot better than stock.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
The geometry does, of course, change and requires the higher spring rate and a tougher shock like the special 1-3/8" gas piston to keep that bump stop from getting aged before it's time. The same thing happens with the shortened spring trick. Re-alignment specs will be affected by terrain driving habits, and the smart driver always "reads" the tyres to see where it needs to be kicked. I never had a bottoming experience with the bump stop, so I'd have to say it was not a problem. It all worked fine at the time (them 60's) and the car sat neatly with it's nose-down attitude. The valence remained unhurt but I had to find a new spot for a front plate. The ideal solution remains to find the dropped spindels. r

Per my previous post, I am sourcing those spindles on a reasonably regular basis but don't want to hijack the thread into a 'parts for sale'... If interested in that 'ideal' solution, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do...

Jim
B382000446