Mazda Miata/MX 5 Power Steering

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Hi All,
I have removed my front end in preparation of upgrading my front brakes with 4 spot Brembos (already sourced) and power steering from a Miata/MX5. I have copied the material available to do this though it isn't clear which power steering rack to source.

From those that have completed the conversion, do I use a first generation rack (NA model), or second generation, (NB), launched in 1998 or third generation (NC). All advice greatly appreciated.

steven

Gold forum user
Hi All,
I have removed my front end in preparation of upgrading my front brakes with 4 spot Brembos (already sourced) and power steering from a Miata/MX5. I have copied the material available to do this though it isn't clear which power steering rack to source.

From those that have completed the conversion, do I use a first generation rack (NA model), or second generation, (NB), launched in 1998 or third generation (NC). All advice greatly appreciated.
I am not sure which model rack I installed but the rack did require new mounts fabricated on the front end. I then used a Nissan Patrol pump and resivour in the place of the oil filter (that moved under the left front wing behind the headlight.) it also needed a duel pulley on the crank for the pump. After that I fitted 2 coolers below the front valance 1 for the engine oil cooler and 1 for the power steering fluid cooler. After that was all plumed in I decided there was not enough room from the new alloy radiator so 2 electric fans in front of the rad cool the beast. I hope that helps the scoping of the project. I had more problems with a RHD car, new flaming river stainless uni's for the steering column and a 300 english pound alloy bend to squeese the lower radiator hose under the steering column

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
Thanks Steven. I am ok for a pump as I will be using an Electric/Hydraulic unit from a Holden Astra. Have used this set up on one of my other cars and works perfectly with a Subaru Imprezza rack.

Talking to an MX5 expert in Aust, the NA, NB & NC racks are all different, so I need to know the correct one. Do you have a close up photo of the rack by any chance?

steven

Gold forum user
I may be able to get one but it is not very visable with the car almost complete
As far as differences go, I am no expert but similar year MX5's that had the same front end would have the same mounting points ?