Mazda Miata seats

steven

Gold forum user
I intend recovering the seats I get with the light blue trim the car origionaly had. Might make the missis a bit happier with the Tiger too.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
seats

the seat tracks on all tigers and alpines were bolted to a sheet metal piece that was spot welded to the floor .why change from the 1/4" seat track mounting bolts when the seats are fastened to the tracks by 1/4 " bolts at the front of the seats only. that means the seats tip forward. sunbeam did change their style of seat in 1968 for use here in the states. they went to a high back similar to what was in my 1970 340 duster. the track still bolted to the floor with 1/4" bolts but the seat frame bolted at four points. the seats had push button releases for the seat back. they also went to a dual brake master at the same time with the booster only connected to the front brakes. the rear view mirror on the windshield was designed to pop off if hit by your head and they also added seat belts with a shoulder strap and a foam center to the steering wheel that sticks out past the wheel.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
the seat tracks on all tigers and alpines were bolted to a sheet metal piece that was spot welded to the floor .why change from the 1/4" seat track mounting bolts when the seats are fastened to the tracks by 1/4 " bolts ...

I must admit that when I posted, I didn't know this. I've not looked at how my Sunbeam seats were attached in years, as it's been in storage. I simply asked for clarification on whether the OP meant to say 1/4" bolts, in light of what I commonly see on other cars (that's what I get for making an assumption). I certainly didn't mean to imply that he should modify his car to use larger bolts. I may enlarge mine for peace of mind, but that's a long way out at the rate I'm going on my car.

Not too early to start looking for Miata seats, though. :)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
seats

things we take for granted on todays cars wasn't even in somebody's brain when these cars were built. the series 4 didn't have seat belts until i installed them in 1970. thank gosh ralph nader never drove a sunbeam! especially a tiger.

Warren

Gold forum user
Amen

Chevy Corvair,, "unsafe at any speed" former presidential candidate Ralph Nader.
Made much safer with a bag of sand in the front where the engine did not go.

I do not know how many Sunbeams got rear ended but the dual tank hoses are just waiting to get overridden by any higher bumper.

Be interested to see what you come up with.

Some guys are using the Ford Courier dual master cylinder with no booster.

steven

Gold forum user
I don't think the advantage of a dual master brake unit is essential. I believe the dual braking system was deemed a safety item when production methods and brake components were a lesser quality than today and were therfore more prone to failure. With a new brake system, stainless lined master, all new rubbers, stainless lined wheel cylinders etc, the chance of castrophic failure is very limited.

For example, heavy vehicles right up to the late 80"s had a single master and booster with a valve system proportioning the brakes front/rear.

Before changing to a duel master, I replace all components in the braking system on the car, in the case of my new project, it will also be upgraded with disc brakes front & rear.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Before changing to a duel master, I replace all components in the braking system on the car, in the case of my new project, it will also be upgraded with disc brakes front & rear.

I assume you mean upgrading to discs on the rear and upgraded front brakes.... the fronts should be disc already.

As a side note.. while the bragging rights of 4 wheel discs is good the rears dont sdo that much... better to concentrate on a decent front upgrade... you might want to look at hoopers stoppers kit for tigers.. they are based in victoria.. really nice PBR setup based on XR6 falcon floating calipers and vented discs.