MK 1 Starter Part Number

kenmat

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Can anyone provide the correct part number for a 1965 Mk 1 starter motor..
The engines of course were built in 1964..
I always thought the correct # is C4OE-11001-A
Some have said C4OZ-11001-A
And a starter guy recently told me neither one was correct..
Can any one clear this up??
Regards
Ken

kenmat

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks..
I guess they built the 260's with a bunch of old starters laying around...

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My manual which is a 1964 Sunbeam 260 manual states c30z-1102-a as the starter.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
My manual which is a 1964 Sunbeam 260 manual states c30z-1102-a as the starter.
My parts manual is dated Jan. 1965, The Rootes part # is 6100364 Ford # C20Z-11002-A. My MK2 parts list is dated Jan. 1967 and shows the same part #'s...

The one thing that I have noted re: the Tiger starter is that the opening in the adapter plate (between the bellhousing and the engine block) is smaller than a normal (after 1966) Ford starter boss. It is the same diameter as the Shelby GT350 from 65/66... so... before you go to NAPA, or wherever, you need to compare the diameter of what fits, with what they have. All of the Ford starters of the era have the same overall diameter and length. It's the diameter of the nose piece that fits into the adapter plate that matters.

Last edited:

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Auto parts man bit of knowledge…Ford starters used a different nose if they were for an automatic transmission than the standard transmission. Be careful if buying a rebuilt unit, they get swapped around. The difference in diameter can drive you nuts when it almost fits.

Franchi

Silver forum user
C20Z-11002-A is the part number, but that won't be the number on the starter. The starter will have an engineering number on it (C20Z-11002-B).

David F.

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
The Rootes Parts List shows the Ford part number - C20Z-11002-A - the Shop Manual lists C4OF-11001-A this is the number on the original starter ink stamp.
I very much recommend you rebuild the original starter motor so you know it will fit. Rebuild kits are available.

Never throw away an original Tiger part - it is your only clue to the Tiger engine unique configuration.

There can be some confusion if buying a replacement starter motor - a new starter must match the original Tiger starter.

Bob Mannel wrote this.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/attachments/starters-001-jpg.85626/

Ron Fraser