Mk II External Oil Cooler drain plug

Dancin

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone know what size socket the drain plug on factor Mk II external oil cooler takes (SAE or metric). Appears to be close to 34 MM or 1 5/16?

Thanks,
Dan

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
1 5/16 fits the closest, but it is likely a BSF/Whitworth size as all oil and fuel line fittings on English cars are BSB (British standard brass) thread. these use BSF/Whitworth wrenches that are based on the fitting diameter and not the size of the head. The special bolts for the oil filter adapters are 13/16 Whitworth!

There are NO metric fasteners on any English car before 1973.

You know why the French invented metric? It makes it sound so much longer than 6 inches......

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
1 5/16 fits the closest, but it is likely a BSF/Whitworth size as all oil and fuel line fittings on English cars are BSB (British standard brass) thread. these use BSF/Whitworth wrenches that are based on the fitting diameter and not the size of the head. The special bolts for the oil filter adapters are 13/16 Whitworth!

There are NO metric fasteners on any English car before 1973.

You know why the French invented metric? It makes it sound so much longer than 6 inches......
The MK 2 Tiger had a 15/16 X 7/8 wrench included in the tool kit. It was intended to be for use on the oil cooler fittings.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The MK 2 Tiger had a 15/16 X 7/8 wrench included in the tool kit. It was intended to be for use on the oil cooler fittings.
The question was for the drain on the cooler, NOT the hoses... The hose fittings are SAE because they were made from US sourced parts. The adapters and the oil cooler were British made and because of that have BSF/Whitworth sized fasteners..... (adapter bolts/oil cooler drain). The fuel line fittings at the OE SU pump and for the oil pressure line also are BSB thread and use BSF/Whitworth wrenches.

I own a Mk2 Tiger.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The question was for the drain on the cooler, NOT the hoses... The hose fittings are SAE because they were made from US sourced parts. The adapters and the oil cooler were British made and because of that have BSF/Whitworth sized fasteners..... (adapter bolts/oil cooler drain). The fuel line fittings at the OE SU pump and for the oil pressure line also are BSB thread and use BSF/Whitworth wrenches.

I own a Mk2 Tiger.
Maybe the intention was to use the King Dick adjustable wrench. It's standard. Whitworth and metric. Or just use a plain old crescent wrench. Did you ever notice that the Tiger oil cooler is basically two series 5 Alpine coolers double stacked?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The adjustable wrench is nowhere hear big enough for the Mk2 oil cooler drain plug. As for the alpine cooler vs. the Tiger cooler... the diameter of the cross tubes are different. The Tiger cooler uses 1/2" i.d tubing and the Alpine is 3/4" tubing. The construction is also totally different. Alpine oil cooler tubes are soldered into the adapters for the hose fittings which are also designed for larger diameter hose fittings. Tiger oil coolers are brazed together and virtually impossible to get apart. The Tiger oil cooler also has a drain and spring loaded bypass that the Alpine doesn't have.

The Mk2 supplemental wrench only fits the fittings at the oil cooler. The other hose fittings are all 3/4" AF (SAE)

I have a crash damaged Mk2 oil cooler (it doesn't leak). I wanted to take it apart to either repair or replace the cross tubes. I had thought about using Alpine cross tubes as I have several. That's when I discovered the difference in tube diameter. I ended up just standing on the oil cooler which straightened it out... Now all I have to do is pull all the cooling wires out again to make it pretty... as it's a spare, I'm in no hurry.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The adjustable wrench is nowhere hear big enough for the Mk2 oil cooler drain plug. As for the alpine cooler vs. the Tiger cooler... the diameter of the cross tubes are different. The Tiger cooler uses 1/2" i.d tubing and the Alpine is 3/4" tubing. The construction is also totally different. Alpine oil cooler tubes are soldered into the adapters for the hose fittings which are also designed for larger diameter hose fittings. Tiger oil coolers are brazed together and virtually impossible to get apart. The Tiger oil cooler also has a drain and spring loaded bypass that the Alpine doesn't have.

The Mk2 supplemental wrench only fits the fittings at the oil cooler. The other hose fittings are all 3/4" AF (SAE)

I have a crash damaged Mk2 oil cooler (it doesn't leak). I wanted to take it apart to either repair or replace the cross tubes. I had thought about using Alpine cross tubes as I have several. That's when I discovered the difference in tube diameter. I ended up just standing on the oil cooler which straightened it out... Now all I have to do is pull all the cooling wires out again to make it pretty... as it's a spare, I'm in no hurry.
I believe I said basic design. Some modifications required for Tiger use.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I believe I said basic design. Some modifications required for Tiger use.
as you probably know, I make hoses for the remote oil filter set up for the all Tigers. I did specially make a set of hoses for someone in Florida to run an Alpine cooler with a Tiger. New fittings for the Alpine hoses are made of unobtainium and the hoses are different internal diameters (Alpines have larger fittings and hoses) I was able to recycle some original Alpine fittings and cobbled up a set of lines. I wouldn't want to do it again.

So, a little more than "some" modification required...