new front suspension.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I know that "Moondoggie" had a custom front suspension on his new car along with that TKO-600 that I'm hoping will be available to the rest of soon. Also, on the post about MG Midget racks there was more mention of a complete replacement front suspension that others have.

Is anyone currently selling those trick new complete crossmembers? I think I heard that they were about $6K. Anyone know more info, who could I contact?

Thanks!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I know that "Moondoggie" had a custom front suspension on his new car along with that TKO-600 that I'm hoping will be available to the rest of soon. Also, on the post about MG Midget racks there was more mention of a complete replacement front suspension that others have.

Is anyone currently selling those trick new complete crossmembers? I think I heard that they were about $6K. Anyone know more info, who could I contact?

Thanks!

The one in moondoggies car is the Dale A front end.. Daelsrestroatioans.com.. also a guy in arozona also offererd a complete front end a while back.. actualyl before Dale.. not sure he is makig them anymore.. same princiaple but tubular parts.. might be slighlty lighter and was cheaper.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
I think Dale's is the only one available. The other one I know of can be seen here:

http://toyzjunkie.com/New_Tiger_Suspension.htm

I contacted the builder. But he was pretty vague about details, and wouldn't discuss building another one, or offering a kit or plans or anything. He just kept saying it was a lot of work, took a long time, etc. I think he decided one (or two, if I read it right) was enough.

Hope this helps,
John.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
FRONT SUSPENSIONS

JF GRIFFS ( of Indiana) has made a few as per the "Tigers/Alpine East" forum posts under Modified Tigers.

Toyzjunkie

New forum user
Replacement Crossmember Info

I have built over 20 of the units since my design was initially conceived/fabricated way back in 2005. I built them for two reasons - First of all to make sure Papa Bear's car had one. Second reason was because a few select prominent Southern California people reassured me that it couldn't be done - then it shouldn't be done. But that's another story altogether. I have much more to do in life besides build Tiger crossmembers. New shop, other Tiger projects, work, etc. Hard to find the time to do it at times as I can be gone at the drop of a hat and on the move. Re-engineered the project to accomodate RHD units, one of which is almost done and going to Australia. Other custom units to accomodate special requests. They are not a cookie-cutter design and tossed in a box without options. Now in it's third-generation of design with other specific options that are yet to be revealed. No, it doesn't cost $6K for a crossmember setup. Nobody should need to spend that kind of $$$ for a plaigurized piece of artwork. I've built several, and they all cost much less. A few units complete with adjustable control arms and Wilwood aluminum hubs/brakes and coilover shocks for under $4.5K. Crossmember powdercoated with control arms, sway bar, steering rack, stainless brake lines, ball joints, bushings, hardware is around $3k. Just add your own hubs, brakes and spindles of choice that are Mustang II related. If you pay more than that, somebody's greedy. Just my .02 on the subject.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Demand

Well that is fine to be annoyed by the competition but as you said yourself Mike:

" I have much more to do in life besides build Tiger crossmembers. New shop, other Tiger projects, work, etc. Hard to find the time to do it at times as I can be gone at the drop of a hat and on the move."

Someone was frustrated between your open ended timelines and his own needs. While conceptually the same as fabricated and improved replacements for the Tiger front suspension there are also many differences.

My 2 Cents from above. Life goes on. It seems there is enough demand for two sources of fabricated suspensions for the present.

No Affiliation and have neither crafted cross member/suspension.

Rick

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The basement budgets

Well that is fine to be annoyed by the competition but as you said yourself Mike:

" I have much more to do in life besides build Tiger crossmembers. New shop, other Tiger projects, work, etc. Hard to find the time to do it at times as I can be gone at the drop of a hat and on the move."

Someone was frustrated between your open ended timelines and his own needs. While conceptually the same as fabricated and improved replacements for the Tiger front suspension there are also many differences.

My 2 Cents from above. Life goes on. It seems there is enough demand for two sources of fabricated suspensions for the present.

No Affiliation and have neither crafted cross member/suspension.

Rick

For the rest of us who prefer the bargain basement, we still re-work the standard crossmembers with the now common, but non-Rootes re-enforcements and correct dimensionings. More than good enough to fix the sag and run for another 4 plus decades.

Warren

Gold forum user
In this months Tiger Tales

Are some pics of Bob "El Presidente" front end for one of his beasts. Showing a nice job.

Why I bet when you join or check your snail mail you will see it.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks to all who replied on my query. I see some mixed feelings, everyone has their own opinions, glad to hear them.

After 40 years of hoping the car will start, not overheat, not breakdown, etc., I finally decided to get off the wallet, spend a few bucks on the old girl, & pull the motor for the first time in its life. That may have had something to do with getting my first Social Security check the same month. Now, the motor is waiting patiently for Bill Martin’s 5-spd conversion to be available. I can’t wait….

With the front end out, I went ahead & changed the convolute covers on the rack. After filling it with the proper lube, we noticed that the rack felt “notchy” as we turned the shaft. My towers are sagging again after having them bent once decades ago. With the stories about how Shelby said “just bend the arms” to make the rack work & all the ways that owners have tried in the past to fix the geometry problems & Ackerman angles, I started thinking that maybe a custom front end might just be the answer.

In a time when on one hand I am wanting to “undo” all the hokey things I did to that car especially when I was young, the other side of me says function should take precedence over originality to make the car as safe as possible. Purists will say that especially a MK-2 should be kept stock to retain value, but since the car is already written in my will to my 32 year old gearhead nephew when I croak, monetary value doesn’t mean anything to me.

I suppose that Dale’s front end is overkill for my intended use which is rarely entering an autocross or an open track event at a Shelby annual meet (last one for me was in 1995 at Atlanta Motor Speedway). Not clear if “Toyzjunkie” has his unit available. Still, I feel that a new front suspension would do wonders for the car even on the street. More research is needed here. Thanks, again.