new owner

vxn209

New forum user
I recently purchased a tiger. I hope someone will answer a few questions. The title for the car says it is a 1967 but I believe it is a 1966. The vin is 3820016xx. Is there a way to determine the build date? Did any tigers come with a Hurst shifter? The car does not have any chrome strips on the sides, just a "tiger" emblem on the side of each front fender. Didn't all of the 1966's have the chrome side moldings? Is there a code which will tell the original color? I see from some pictures some tigers have the SUNBEAM letters on the front of the car and some don't. Is that year specific?
Thanks. John

Cal44

Gold forum user
John,

Hurst shifter, not that I am aware of. These are Ford top loaders with Ford shifters.

Many furrin' cars have oddball dates on the title. My Lotus was built in '70, on the Calif. title it states '71. My old Tiger was the same, built in '64 but titled as a '65. I think it is when they sold them....or not. I gave up.

Build date? Yes, there are people in the know.

Should have side strips.

There is a paint code on the bulk head under the hood.....on a tag

Not sure about the Sunbeam lettering.

Pictures............we need pictures.

Mike

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
John,

No factory cars had the hurst shifter they were an after market option.

The only 67 cars are MKII's they can be identified by their lack of a hole for the battery box on the rear parcel shelf (where the hatch is on MKI and IA tigers for the fuel pump access)

The VIN tag will have the colour code of the car eg: 86 = green, 1 = black, etc.. its a seperate number stamped on the RHS of the VIN tag.

All MKI and MKIA tigers had the side strip.. MKII's had wheel arch mouldings and a strip along the sill join to body between the arches.

ALL MKI cars had the SUNBEAM lettering on the front, the MKIA which can be identified by the vynil soft top cover and fresh air vents no longer had the lettering on the front.

hope this helps... pics would be good.

go to the rootes1.com website and that should help you sort soe info out, there is also a list of known tigers and authenticated cars, will be worth a look for you.