Now legal to R and R the VIN plate!

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That is good news to those folks living in Arizona. And the article mentioned that it is legal to R & R the VIN plate during restoration in Kansas.

Warren

Gold forum user
Really nothing said about the hidden secondaries. What happens in AZ is what happens in AZ. There's scads of repop tags out there starting with the Mini Moke tags which used to be sold on Moss motors.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI, This info is not to argue the VIN plate subject but only to state facts. There is also a source to stamp replacement VIN plates with the correct style of lettering and numbers. Not all states have strict laws and regulations as found in a few states. I've bought more than one car in California and in order to verify and register the car in Ohio the VIN on the car had to be verified that it matches what is on the title and a new Ohio title is issued after paying sales tax on the purchase price on the back of the title and then after the usual paper work the new title is issued. Keep in mind that the VIN of these cars does not fall into the same format of numbers and letters as cars being built today nor does the plate have a bar code that can be scanned. We can apply and register it for historical tags and for the next 50 years you'll find the car is in the state BMV data base but you'll not receive any contact from the BMV including verification of insurance as well as not having to pay registration fees for the next 50 years. Do you really think anyone properly restoring a car that the state is ignoring will be contacted to make sure the rivets are original or has the original VIN plate been removed from the car or has been replaced?

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,

Clint said it better than I ever could, “Do you feel lucky, punk?”

If you are in one of those “strict” jurisdictions and you find your beautiful restoration has been crushed due to discovery of a phony VIN plate, it’s then just your tough luck. Gamblers can loose. Your point is that the odds may be in your favor. That may be true but a lot is on the line.

Instead, maybe some might choose to be more conservative by being “Better safe than sorry" and simply stick with their ratty old VIN plates.

I marvel at the number of phony plates I run across. Their owners think they have a perfect replica merely because someone told them it was. Perfect replicas are possible but are very, very rare. Few understand that.

Buck

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,

Clint said it better than I ever could, “Do you feel lucky, punk?”

If you are in one of those “strict” jurisdictions and you find your beautiful restoration has been crushed due to discovery of a phony VIN plate, it’s then just your tough luck. Gamblers can loose. Your point is that the odds may be in your favor. That may be true but a lot is on the line.

Instead, maybe some might choose to be more conservative by being “Better safe than sorry" and simply stick with their ratty old VIN plates.

I marvel at the number of phony plates I run across. Their owners think they have a perfect replica merely because someone told them it was. Perfect replicas are possible but are very, very rare. Few understand that.

Buck

I live in a state that is much different in a multitude of ways than where you live and as well as other states. I guess you could say it's not a strict jurisdiction. We don't have vehicle inspections of any kind. You're aware that Jean and I own a few Sunbeams that we bought in California as well as a couple bought in other states. The VIN numbers have all been verified by either the local BMV office or by a car dealership licensed by the state and are legally registered in Ohio. The photo is of our last car bought in California after being verified. There is no gamble if the regulations of your state are followed. Buy historical plates and you'll never hear from the state for the next 50 years.

100_0621.JPG