Oil pressure gauge line

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I am getting ready to install the newly rebuilt original 260 engine and have a couple of questions
Should the oil pressures gauge line be bled of air or should it have an air cushion ?
The exhaust manifolds are installed with out the double tab washers , should i install the new ones that I bought or leave them with regular washers ? The main reason I ask is the torque spec in the manual is 16 foot pounds My thoughts were to put the double tab washers on with the 14 pounds spec and then retorque after a few heat cycles then lock with the tabs Any thoughts?
I bought a new SS exhaust system and want to know if the straighter down pipe is on the driver’s side ?

Franchi

Silver forum user
Here you go.
David F.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 08-32-53 Tiger II Supplement Section VF.pdf.png

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've never worried about bleeding the oil pressure line to the gauge, and it's never been an issue. There are 2 bend clips which secure the oil pressure line to the front and rear inside valve cover bolts. I get these from NPD part #37766-SK you can just make out the rear one in the attached pic.

As for the exhaust manifold bolts, in 40 years I've never had to retorque a set. This is a problem only encountered headers. I just torque them and bend the tangs on the lock tabs. It is virtually impossible to get at them once the engine is in the car.

P4060836.JPG

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I've never worried about bleeding the oil pressure line to the gauge, and it's never been an issue. There are 2 bend clips which secure the oil pressure line to the front and rear inside valve cover bolts. I get these from NPD part #37766-SK you can just make out the rear one in the attached pic.

As for the exhaust manifold bolts, in 40 years I've never had to retorque a set. This is a problem only encountered headers. I just torque them and bend the tangs on the lock tabs. It is virtually impossible to get at them once the engine is in the car.

View attachment 17395
Hi Sean
I do have the exhaust gaskets installed, do I torque them to factory spec of 14 pounds bearing
In mind that they never originally installed a gasket ? Thanks

Franchi

Silver forum user
Do not use a gasket, just make sure the block and exhaust manifold surface are clean, and the manifold is flat, not warped. A gasket will eventually burn out.

David F.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Hi Sean
I do have the exhaust gaskets installed, do I torque them to factory spec of 14 pounds bearing
In mind that they never originally installed a gasket ? Thanks
Well, David and I are going to have to agree to disagree about gasket use. I've never had one fail, except with headers. I always use the gaskets. one of my Tiger has been in constant use for 23 years. i average 500 miles a year driving and haven't had any problems. The car in for resto right now has had exhaust manifold gaskets installed since 1979... they were completely intact and undamaged until I pulled them off the heads in prep for a complete engine rebuild.

I use the Fel-Pro standard metal on one side gasket...

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Well, David and I are going to have to agree to disagree about gasket use. I've never had one fail, except with headers. I always use the gaskets. one of my Tiger has been in constant use for 23 years. i average 500 miles a year driving and haven't had any problems. The car in for resto right now has had exhaust manifold gaskets installed since 1979... they were completely intact and undamaged until I pulled them off the heads in prep for a complete engine rebuild.

I use the Fel-Pro standard metal on one side gasket...
What would the torque be with the gaskets AND without the gaskets ?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
What would the torque be with the gaskets AND without the gaskets ?
it'd be the same either way..

And my fingers must have been flying!! I average 5000 miles a year on the Tiger, NOT 500. basically, if the sun is out, I drive it... For me 10 trips to Seattle is 5000 miles!

Franchi

Silver forum user
I worked at an auto repair/muffler shop for 40 years and have seen lots of burned out gaskets (all makes of cars/trucks), some were installed with new manifolds. Of course, these cars might have run hotter (exhaust) than a Tiger. Trucks were especially hard on gaskets. I didn't use gaskets when repairing them.
The factory didn't use gaskets.

Side note, number 4 in the Tiger diagram above is not the correct pipe to manifold gasket, factory mistake.

David F.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I am getting ready to install the newly rebuilt original 260 engine and have a couple of questions
Should the oil pressures gauge line be bled of air or should it have an air cushion ?
The exhaust manifolds are installed with out the double tab washers , should i install the new ones that I bought or leave them with regular washers ? The main reason I ask is the torque spec in the manual is 16 foot pounds My thoughts were to put the double tab washers on with the 14 pounds spec and then retorque after a few heat cycles then lock with the tabs Any thoughts?
I bought a new SS exhaust system and want to know if the straighter down pipe is on the driver’s side ?
How do you like the Sunbeam Specialties exhaust system? Is it of good quality? How is the fitment? Did it come with all of the hangers, etc. to install it?

I see that it is 1 3/4" pipes. I have heard 2" pipes were better for performance.