Pedal assembly shim/felt

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The stock pedal assembly uses a felt washer as a spacer between the pedal box and pedal arm pivot surface that needs to be periodically oiled to assist pedal return. The PO clearly did not know or care, and my felts are no more.
Surely there is a better way? A Torrington bearing would be nice
Failing an improvement, any suggestions for a source of the felt washers?

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
could you be a little more specific? Are you referring to Rootes part# 9120073? Illustration 105 plate C in the Alpine parts list (clutch pedal). I have never found these to be present on any of the Tigers that have appeared in my shop. I have yet to have car come in with excessive play on the pivot, but that may be because I live in an area that does not have huge corrosion issues....

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The stock pedal assembly uses a felt washer as a spacer between the pedal box and pedal arm pivot surface that needs to be periodically oiled to assist pedal return. The PO clearly did not know or care, and my felts are no more.
Surely there is a better way? A Torrington bearing would be nice
Failing an improvement, any suggestions for a source of the felt washers?
the felt washers for battery terminals are pretty close to the same size, if you can live with red and green felt washers!

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Plate E PN 204 and 206
In fact I have been eyeing up battery felts, but cannot help thinking that there must be a better way....................

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Plate E PN 204 and 206
In fact I have been eyeing up battery felts, but cannot help thinking that there must be a better way....................

Most of the ones I pull from wrecks are missing the felts.. Anti seize is as good of a solution as any. it's funny... all of the normal periodic maintenance and oiling that people our age wouldn't think twice about is completely lost on people now. look at a owner's handbook from the 60's... there's all kinds of things that you were supposed to do... Modern cars spoil people... and then when they take them to the dealer for a check engine light, or whatever, it's a $1000 dollar bill.

I'm not taking out a mortgage and buying a modern car... besides, mechanics now have zero abaility to diagnose anything w/o a computer leading them by the nose.... a very sad state of affairs, to be sure.

Warren

Gold forum user
Haven't any of you been to Jo-Ann's or some fabric store..
I suppose if you took out an original heater core you'd have about 14 in of felt by 1 in that you could have nearly a lifetime supply ;)

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Haven't any of you been to Jo-Ann's or some fabric store..
I suppose if you took out an original heater core you'd have about 14 in of felt by 1 in that you could have nearly a lifetime supply ;)
Not if the pack rats got to it first