pin beading

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've run into an issue with the repro pin beading for the rear fenders. What's currently supplied is 1/4" longer than the original trim. They cannot be installed as they extend into the door opening. The only viable option to remedy appears to be moving the "Rootes" shields... The only other option would be to shorten, reprofile the ends and polish.

Anybody out there have a similar problem?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I installed some I got from SS about 18 months ago. When they were positioned correctly at the door openings, they were just touching the Rootes badges. I elongated the holes and moved the badges back. I was very happy with the spacing and look of everything in the end.
I don't recall comparing the length to my old ones.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I installed some I got from SS about 18 months ago. When they were positioned correctly at the door openings, they were just touching the Rootes badges. I elongated the holes and moved the badges back. I was very happy with the spacing and look of everything in the end.
I don't recall comparing the length to my old ones.
mine are into the door opening about 1/16" anyway... really don't want to move the badges... I'll probably just send the originals out to be polished.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It could be a fluke. I know that a couple years ago that he had problems with other parts that didn't match the original samples shown to him prior to ordering.

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It could be a fluke. I know that a couple years ago that he had problems with other parts that didn't match the original samples shown to him prior to ordering.
I did send him an email asking. The last set I ordered had the same issue (several years ago). The OE ones are nice enough that with a little polishing, I can re-use them.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did send him an email asking. The last set I ordered had the same issue (several years ago). The OE ones are nice enough that with a little polishing, I can re-use them.
I'm lucky in that our chrome guys are really good at re-profile and high polish. The downside is the $$$ of course.