POLL: What's at the end of your Steering Column??

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
The end of my steering column has an "unfinished" look to it. Check out the first picture below. It seems like there should be something covering the end, so that moisture does not get up into the column.

I have seen a couple of friends' cars, each of which is different. The next picture shows a double nut arrangement at the end of the column. The last picture is a little harder to see, but under the engine cross brace, you can see a type of bellows sticking out (similar to a rod end boot) that covers the end of the column.

I talked to Rick at Sunbeam Specialties about this and he said he does not have any such parts and was not familiar with anything that would go on there.

So, my question to you guys is: "What does your car have in that location?" or "What is supposed to go in that location?"

Threads - bottom of column.jpg

Steering Column - Bruce.jpg

Steering column - Al.jpg

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Rootes Parts Supplement for the Tiger does not show any bellows at the end of the steering column. See the diagram from that parts manual below. I believe the felt piece (#3) is there to help keep the innards clean and (somewhat) dry.

David

RF1.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The early steering column MK1/MK1a doesn't have the nuts or felt. The collar for the ball bearings is held in by a spring, some shims and a snap ring. The later column was introduced at B382001875. The last late column I went through I used a felt front seal for a timing cover. Can't remember what it was from. The felt is about 5/16' thick. It fits between the ball race and the bush for the race. There are no adjusting shims in the late column. you could probably make one easy enough if you have some felt stock.

The felt is there to keep crap out of the ball bearings, so no need for bellows.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Picture 1 is the same as mine pictures 2 and 3 are not the same as mine. I have a series 1

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The first pic is an early column. 2nd is a later version (after B382001875). Judging from heater valve in the 3rd pic, that's a MK1 and should have the same column as what you have (the early one). I have no idea what the rubber gaiter is from, but it is NOT original. there wasn't any kind of method to keep crap out of the early column... probably why it was redesigned.

Last edited:

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
It sounds like I have an early column. I do have some felt stock in the shop. So, it seems like I should cut some felt in the shape like you put those little felt washers on a battery terminal, and then stuff it into the end?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The early column has no provision for felt, only the late column does. Yes, your column is the early version. There never was any provision for sealing the bottom against moisture. Nor is there really any way to jamb felt into the end... in any event, if it's moisture you are worried about, the felt will just act like a sponge and absorb moisture and then hold it right up against the lower ball race. With it open it can drain or evaporate... The felt wasn't a moisture block anyway, just a method of keeping dirt and grit out.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The earlier units I have assaulted had a leather seal behind the retainer. The proximity of the exhaust manifolds sure dictates climate issues anyway. Just sayin'

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
not shown in the parts list for the early column? would complicate figuring out the required packing shims...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
not shown in the parts list for the early column? would complicate figuring out the required packing shims...
Not surprised by the parts list absence. Just sayin' the leather was in too many of them to be a fluke. Rootes was outsourcing from every bicycle shop in the neighborhood.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The true answer is ‘the nut behind the steering wheel’is at the end of the steering column 😮lol

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I was looking at the CAT Shop Notes yesterday. There was a section on putting a Steering Boot on the column. It recommended an early VW shift lever boot.

My parts stores did not have the VW part. What I did find was a Doorman tie rod dust boot # 13567. It fit really snug around the lower part of the shaft, so it seems like it will stay in place. It fits nicely around the lower part of the column without being too tight and creating a bind.

It just did not feel right to me to leave the end open to moisture and dirt.

boot card.jpg

Boot on steering column.jpg