Question for the experts...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
We are just having a discussion over here whether the sills under the lower side trim on Mk2 Tigers were originally painted matt black. I believe yes, but would appreciate some other's reconfirmation...

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I bought my Mk II in August 1970 and I never saw any trace of repainting or body work. The sills under the rocker panel trim piece were painted a black. It was not shiny but was more of a satin than a flat matt. What I recall is that it was very similar (if not the same) as the black behind the grill, but not applied with a brush (as far as I could tell).

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I agree, I have owned a couple of Mk2's. The most recent, #436 (under restoration now) the satin black treatment behind the grille and there was evidence of it on the sills (rockers) below the stainless moldings. I acquired the car from Ron Stein, last October. The car has been off the road since 1971 or 1972. There was quite a bit of original paint still on the shell (both Polar White and Satin Black) Either way, flat or satin, would have been a bitch to maintain. You couldn't wax it, and it will water spot like crazy. I only know for sure that I'm not going to put the stripes on, as IMHO they are hideous... At least with the satin black, it's marginally easier to maintain.

Jensen applied a similar treatment to Austin Healeys, as they built the bodies.... Both behind the grille and on visible vertical flanges (with a brush) to make the body color less visible. As the Alpines and Tigers were painted by Pressed Steel, the treatments should be similar... In any event, Jensen didn't paint the satin black under the sill trim on the Mk2. I use PPG black (single stage, concept) and add about 40% by volume flatting agent and apply it with a conventional gravity spray gun.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Matte/flat black

PXL_20220721_213643713.jpg

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
No sheen but a matte black. From my survey of two my original paint car plus the other said to be at the last United. Of course the shine could have flattened out by my 2017 garage find. It was only on the road for 10 years. Agreed it was not a brush on application on the rockers.

Opinion below.

Having a black car that's usually clean for about 5 minutes or one block. The black is somewhat a brilliant mod because it hides a little bit of the road splashy stuff everywhere.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All the MKII had the matte black under the stainless sill trim.

The theory being it would adjust the proportions of the car.. Shallower and longer.

The stainless sill trim becomes the new " lower edge" of the body and the black sill hides into the shadow and the new stripe stickers make it look longer ( less effective that the mki stainless strip) all cheap adjustments to try and give the car a different new look.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great answers so far confirming my assumption, thanks. We have a guy in our club who has recently bought a rather original Mk2 and was thinking to remove the black paint under the rocker trim. Told him " hold it until we've clarified about the origin"...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
We are just having a discussion over here whether the sills under the lower side trim on Mk2 Tigers were originally painted matt black. I believe yes, but would appreciate some other's reconfirmation...
There were two brand new 67 MK II's in our crowd back in 67/68. Both complained about the way the satin blackened area gathered dirt.