Rear axel inner grease seal location

artist

Bronze forum user
I am installing the rear disc brake conversion that Dan Richardson sells from South Carolina. Nice set and an easy install . However my problem came as one of the hubs was seized onto the axel. After trying innumerable ways to get it apart I had to pull the axel and take it to a shop where they cut the bearings and seal off the axel in order to press the hub off. The problem was the dummy working on my car (me) didn't take a photo of the seal and bearing locations. Now I have a nice bare axel and new bearing and seals and have no idea of the correct location. I went to the workshop manual but the diagram doesn't look quit the same as the real stuff. If someone could look at the attached pictures and tell me which position the seal should sit.
Alt 1 - seal mounts on the differential side of the ridge on axel, with open side towards wheel.
Alt 2 - seal mounts on the wheel side of the ridge on axel, with open side towards wheel.
Alt 3 - seal mounts on the differential side of the ridge on axel, with closed side towards wheel.
Alt 4 - seal mounts on the wheel side of the ridge on axel, with closed side towards wheel.
The shop I went to doesn't know or remember.
Someone please respond so I can finish this!!!!
Thanks

seal open side inside.jpg

seal open side out.jpg

seal solid side inside.jpg

seal solid side out.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OK so does that mean Alt 1 or 2?
Thanks for replying
The inner seal "lip" wants to face the pumpkin (spring side) and thus retain the gear oil and keep it away from the outer bearing which has it's own grease. The seal gets tapped gently into the housing first until it stops against the inner ridge. Open side goes inboard. The axle is then loaded thru the seal. Amen

Last edited:

artist

Bronze forum user
The inner seal "lip" wants to face the pumpkin (spring side) and thus retain the gear oil and keep it away from the outer bearing which has it's own grease. The seal gets tapped gently into the housing first until it stops against the inner ridge. Open side goes inboard. The axle is then loaded thru the seal. Amen
THANKS FOR REPLING.
The inner seal is not big enough to set in axel tube. (see attached graphic) I slid it down the axel shaft till it rested against the ridge of the axel.
The bearing is pressed till it hits the ridge. Axel is inserted into the axel housing and the race is pressed into the housing. That seems to be all that
holds the axel in place.????

Tiger axel graph.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
THANKS FOR REPLING.
The inner seal is not big enough to set in axel tube. (see attached graphic) I slid it down the axel shaft till it rested against the ridge of the axel.
The bearing is pressed till it hits the ridge. Axel is inserted into the axel housing and the race is pressed into the housing. That seems to be all that
holds the axel in place.????

View attachment 13769
First, the inner seal may be the wrong part? It must fit snug in the axle housing . Your bearing sketch is correct and the backing plate holds the bearing race in place. A light weight paper gasket fits between the backing plate and the axle flange.

artist

Bronze forum user
First, the inner seal may be the wrong part? It must fit snug in the axle housing . Your bearing sketch is correct and the backing plate holds the bearing race in place. A light weight paper gasket fits between the backing plate and the axle flange.
Thanks. Contacting SunSpec to see what they say.

artist

Bronze forum user
Thanks. Contacting SunSpec to see what they say.
the part is ok as I got another from SS. Part of the problem was remnant from old seal. New seal is good But....
As I put axel in it goes only part way. I feel it line up to diff and I turn it to nest with gear teeth, push it in and about half inch from being all the way in it stops as if its hit something. Whats up? Does this relate to the possitraction???? I've tapped on the axel to see if it would go in further but am afraid to hit it too hard.

stuck axel.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
the part is ok as I got another from SS. Part of the problem was remnant from old seal. New seal is good But....
As I put axel in it goes only part way. I feel it line up to diff and I turn it to nest with gear teeth, push it in and about half inch from being all the way in it stops as if its hit something. Whats up? Does this relate to the possitraction???? I've tapped on the axel to see if it would go in further but am afraid to hit it too hard.

View attachment 13821
DO NOT Slam at it !! One of the posi clutches is probable out of position just enough to stop the splines from seating. You will need to anchor the opposite wheel from turning and, with the car in gear to hold the driveshaft from turning, use a long pipe wrench (carefully) twist the axle back & forth while pushing inward. Welcome to the frustration mania; Amen.

artist

Bronze forum user
DO NOT Slam at it !! One of the posi clutches is probable out of position just enough to stop the splines from seating. You will need to anchor the opposite wheel from turning and, with the car in gear to hold the driveshaft from turning, use a long pipe wrench (carefully) twist the axle back & forth while pushing inward. Welcome to the frustration mania; Amen.
OK Was able to wiggle posi by rotating from opposite wheel. Being able to put race in required some patience But done Thanks for the help.