Rear axle flange dimensions?

PITT40

Gold forum user
Does anyone have a Tiger rear that they measure the distances of the 4 holes or trace the flange pattern? Maybe also measure the offset from the flange face to the axle face where the wheel would bolt?

I want to look into rear disc options using late Mustang stuff.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
If I understand the question correctly, the 4 hole spacing you are asking about is the wheel lug spacing. The Tiger has a 4 x 4.25 inch pattern.

Also remember that the axle hubs have a tapered center hole to match up to the tapered end of the axle shaft and a key in a slot to help keep everything together. So a different hub with a straight center hole will not attach properly to the tapered end of the axle shaft.

Sorry if I incorrectly read the question.

Gene

PITT40

Gold forum user
See the attachment for common ones. Does anyone know the Tiger dimensions? Is it the same as the Dana 60 in that image?

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
diff/brake

I want to look into rear disc options using late Mustang stuff.[/QUOTE]

Been there, done that. I wanted better brakes, and also thought I needed a stronger diff.
I got an 8.8 from an Explorer because I wanted the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, had it narrowed for my Tiger, the way the brake hardware is, they just don't fit, the frame rail is too close to the brake caliper and backing plate hardware when the flanges are the right distance apart. The calipers also don't fit inside a lot of wheels, even 15" rims, the caliper dragged on my 68 GT500KR rims, which was the WHOLE DANG REASON I was changing to the Ford bolt pattern. I got the 8.8 mounted in the car, and bolted to the springs, but it was obvious that with the car at regular ride height, the calipers were going to be banging on the frame rails.

I wound up re-re-doing the 8.8 for my 65 Mustang, and putting the Dana 44 back in the Tiger with a Trac-Loc, 3.54 gears, and Dale's rear disk brake kit. Doug Jennings supplied me with a new set of hubs which didn't have the holes drilled in them yet, and unlike the factory hubs, had enough meat to drill a different pattern in them. I changed the bolt pattern front and rear to the Ford 5x4.5. (also wouldn't be that hard to turn down a factory hub and weld a new circular flange on it that you could drill out to whatever bolt pattern you wanted, that was my "plan b" before Doug came up with the blank flanges)

When I was at Dale's, I noticed he also supplies Ford 9" diffs with a custom housing that bolts right in a Tiger, however, after talking to a lot of people, I finally decided that the Dana 44 was plenty strong enough, even for my 400+ HP Tiger, mainly because it doesn't weigh enough to hook up good enough to break anything, and also because there's a number of guys with even hotter motors than mine, running stock Dana 44s.
BTW, Dale's brake kits work bitchen, and you definitely don't need the power brake booster with 4 wheel, 4 piston caliper Wilwood disc brakes. I also used a Ford Courier dual master cylinder, slightly smaller bore than stock for less pedal effort. And you'll still have half your brakes if a line goes.

Bob Knight
B9471705
B9471929

Jeff F

Gold forum user
CAT Member
PITT40 and I have been talking about these parts offline, and we have yet to find a flange that is like the Tiger flange. He did find a Dana 44 seal retainer that is the wrong pattern but can be modified to work.

It is 2-3/8 x 3-1/16, which doesn't match anything I can find, Dana 44 or otherwise. I am in need of a bearing retainer and seal retainer for one side so I was looking for some other application that matched. Easy enough to make/modify, but does anyone know if the Tiger pattern is the same as something else?

If I were to make some of these parts is there anyone else who needs them? It isn't really a wear item, so they are probably only needed if they were somehow lost or damaged.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I bought this kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290604614167?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's for a 60's Jeep Cj with a Dana 44. It matches dimensionally, but the bolt pattern does not line up to a Tiger. Two of the bolts holes are a about a 1/16" (1.5mm) off and can be ground slightly larger. Then the area with no holes has plenty of meat to drill the 2 additional holes. Of course, then they need to be trimmed because the Tiger bearing retainer is not round.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Jeff suggested and was right, that there is sufficient space to drill (4) new holes in the Jeep seal flange. Duh, sometimes the obvious never hits us right away.

This is not like the Tiger in that you replace the seal cartridge in the flange. This is a one piece throw away. You can see by my green Sharpie where the flange need to be modified vs the Tiger seal flange to fit.