rear disc brakes

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Black and Yellow Tiger VR has DRUM rear brakes and it does very well.

However, IF I ever put Rear disks on it, I would use the Volvo 1800 calipers.

But, I like the convenience of a parking brake, so I would use a hydraulic

parking brake.

I even started on a mock up project:

P1080753.JPG

It has yet to be installed/tested.

BTW, I would use a smaller bore MC (5/8") than in the picture.

DW

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The fronts do most of the stopping.. so upgrading the fronts is step one... Once they are updated then it's about getting a rear setup to balance it out

As for braking... The brakes if in good condition are as good as they were in period.. the modern tyres would help them be better than in the day...but.. by modern standards they aren't great and there are a lot more cars on the road.... And people cut in these days expecting people to behind to be able to stop with modern distances..... 😑

As for Alpine v tiger... The Tiger is a lot heavier at the front and puts more weight forward... Also .. Tigers tend to get up to speed a bit quicker than the Alpine... So you may be stopping from quicker speeds in shorter distances....

Drive appropriately to what you have 😉
Thanks for the reply - I'm loving the Tiger but admit i haven't pushed the speed /braking yet -And you are right there are more cars on the road than in the day (and 95% seem like idiots ! ) I heard a good quote the other day-For those who think the modern generation are brigher reflect on this - 40 years ago Car handbooks told you how to set the valve clearance -Today they tell you not to drink the battery acid !

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Black and Yellow Tiger VR has DRUM rear brakes and it does very well.

However, IF I ever put Rear disks on it, I would use the Volvo 1800 calipers.

But, I like the convenience of a parking brake, so I would use a hydraulic

parking brake.

I even started on a mock up project:

View attachment 19259

It has yet to be installed/tested.

BTW, I would use a smaller bore MC (5/8") than in the picture.

DW
Dan why not just a wooden block on a cord 😲 ....😜

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MK, yes, I DO have the Wood Block ....I call it the EMERGENCY Brake.

BTW, rope/cord is only for the Wealthy....

DW

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
or an anchor and a chain.....

Brakes are the single most important thing in a car . I COULD GIVE A CRAP HOW FAST IT GOES, I'd like it to stop when I press on the WHOA PEDAL.
If the brakes fail you can use the gears to slow down the car or shut off the engine and use it as a brake.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
How did trailers get into a thread concerning brakes?
Well we were discussing rear disc upgrades and the issues of having a handbrake, the thread overall was about increasing brake performance and austinhealer was referencing the efficiency of the stopping power being his primary concern .. wo rather than go....

Nobody was talking about brake failure... Stock brakes... added rear disc brakes or better brakes all round won't help if the brakes fail.. but that's not what the thread was about ....

Shutting off an engine to stop a car with brake failure might be effective for those who just drive the cars on and off a trailer. Low speed low interia.. a useful tip for that circumstance I guess.

b