Remote Oil Filter Issue

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am now working on my Mark I , and trying to make it as stock as practical ( new term ). In installing the remote oil filter, the filter element does not tighten up. Am I missing something? A rubber spacer? ( I have seen these things my whole Sunbeam life, never paid attention to them. Now I am part of some Stock Tiger Cult .)
Steven Alcala, FYI I have a new phone number 310-848-7083

DSCN8641.JPG

DSCN8643.JPG

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am now working on my Mark I , and trying to make it as stock as practical ( new term ). In installing the remote oil filter, the filter element does not tighten up. Am I missing something? A rubber spacer? ( I have seen these things my whole Sunbeam life, never paid attention to them. Now I am part of some Stock Tiger Cult .)
Steven Alcala, FYI I have a new phone number 310-848-7083

View attachment 15671

View attachment 15673
It's too clean fer one thing . . . . .

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steve,

If you mean the oil line "cap" on top of the element, I find it is best to first tighten the adaptor bolt to the element. This is the larger nut. Get that really tight before screwing the hose fitting (the smaller nut) into the adaptor bolt. Then screw in the hose fitting into the top of the adaptor bolt.

Don't expect the retaining band to hold the element in place while installing the fittings and hose.

There is only the one gasket between the adaptor bolt and the adaptor for the oil line to the element.

Good luck!

Warren

Gold forum user
Didn't you see the 36mm wrench I had for sale at the United. Cut short and a box end for the top with a cut out to fit over the metal hose end. Then all you need is 3 hands and some luck.
My best was 3 times several cuss words and several hairs pulled out before it stopped leaking.

Dave's right the stupid band clamp cannot tighten enough to fit a Fram or a Wix or the Autolite FL-1A and keep it from turning.
3 joints is two too many but good luck. Look over the previous discussions. One suggests " I'll take the TEAE 2 point deduction for good functionality. " Paul F. " I have to go back and like that posting. ;)

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Didn't you see the 36mm wrench I had for sale at the United. Cut short and a box end for the top with a cut out to fit over the metal hose end. Then all you need is 3 hands and some luck.
My best was 3 times several cuss words and several hairs pulled out before it stopped leaking.

Dave's right the stupid band clamp cannot tighten enough to fit a Fram or a Wix or the Autolite FL-1A and keep it from turning.
3 joints is two too many but good luck. Look over the previous discussions. One suggests " I'll take the TEAE 2 point deduction for good functionality. " Paul F. " I have to go back and like that posting. ;)
As the adapter nut is of British manufacture it's not Metric or UNF (SAE). All British oil line fittings and fuel line fittings are Whitworth based. The correct socket is 13/16 W. I ordered one off of Ebay several years ago. As most people don't have the correct tools, the nut is often "buggered up" and may require some hand filing to repair. While at it, it's a good thing to check the underside where it seals against the fibre gasket. Often using the wrong tool causes burrs which the gasket can't take up. I usually replace the small fibre gaskets with nylon ones sourced from Earl's as they are thicker and seal better.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I have a set of Whitworth tools bought back in day to work on my Norton - and you think Tigers leak oil

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have a set of Whitworth tools bought back in day to work on my Norton - and you think Tigers leak oil
Have had Whitworth tools forever!! taps and dies too. MY dad had had Sunbeam Talbots since the late 50's. I restored a '66 Triumph T100 (Tiger) about 15 years ago. Found a Honda product to seal the case. Leave it to the Japanese to figure out how to stop British bikes from leaking!

Warren

Gold forum user
Hilarious Robert. Had a really nice T500 Triumph with Rick Matisse plastics.
I sold it on because it spewed oil on the chain and concrete at every kick start.

I was only talking about the big top nut pictured. I've had 3 of the set ups and all fit a 36 mm purrfectly. Aa