Routing a 3/8's Fuel line, share your wisdom

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With everything I've read regarding the fuel demands of a high performance 302 with 600 cfm holley carburator I'm thinking I need 3/8's lines on my car. I hate the way the current line is routed and not even sure a 3/8's pipe would fit in the tail housing/driveline tunnel. If anyone has had experience with this modification could you please share some of your wisdom with me. Cheers,

Don Lutjen

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Just did this. Pull the 5/16 line and then feed the 3/8 line where it was. Is easy, just takes a little time. Be sure to cover the end of the new line so it does not get junk in it. I used the same tabs that secured the 5/16 for the 3/8.

I used 3/8 aluminum line which is much easier to bend that steel.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke, thanks for the prompt reply. What I didn't mention is I'm running a Five speed with an amc tailhousing, I think there is a little less room to work, but I think it will. A few questions: Did you pull that 5/16's line towards the front or out the rear? Did you form the bends in the new line before installing or after you had run the line threw the tunnel. I assume maybe you did a little of both? Thanks, Don

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke, thanks for the prompt reply. What I didn't mention is I'm running a Five speed with an amc tailhousing, I think there is a little less room to work, but I think it will. A few questions: Did you pull that 5/16's line towards the front or out the rear? Did you form the bends in the new line before installing or after you had run the line threw the tunnel. I assume maybe you did a little of both? Thanks, Don

Pulled the 5/16 out the back. Fed the 3/8 forward and bent as I needed while the rest was kept in the coil as I fed it. I stopped the 3/8 just by the #2 cylinder. I then ran another 3/8 line from there in front of the engine and back to the carb. I used 3" of 3/8 hose to link them. I also use a tube heat shield to cover the 3/8 line from the mid section of the car to the connection by cylinder #2. The other rubber line junction is where the pump was under that trap door.

004-9.jpg

chirodoc

Gold forum user
FUEL LINES

SOME YEARS AGO WHEN MY FUEL PUMP PACKED IT IN, I MOVED THE FUEL PUMP TO THE INSIDE OF THE RIGHT FRAME RAIL AND RE ROUTED THE FUEL LINE TO THE INSIDE OF THE ROCKER PANEL TO GET THE FUEL LINE AWAY FROM THE ENGINE AND MUFFLER HEAT. IT ENTERS THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT THROUGH AN EXISTING HOLE IN THE RIGHT INNER FENDERWELL. I USED "CAN'T KINK" 3/8 BRAKE LINE FOR THE HARD LINE AND BRAIDED HOSE FROM THE HARD LINE FITTING TO THE CARBURATOR. AT THE TIME I WAS CONTEMPLATING VINTAGE RACING AND THE ORIGINAL FUEL PUMP MOUNTING POSITION AND THE FUEL LINE ROUTING POSED A POTENTIAL FIRE HAZZARD AND WOULD'NT PASS TECH INSECTION.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user

I'm running 3/8" braided hose past an AMC tailhousing with no problem so they'll be even more room than that for line... Below it is the brake line which crosses over and runs through the Alpine exhaust hole and up the driver's side to the dual master...

Jim
B382000446

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would love to see some routing options here's mine that I'm not really pleased with, and not currently in the original 5/16's tubing. It follows the rear brake hydraulics and then detours over the top of the headers and then connects to the last section which is in between the block and the headers. Any routing that is better than this I'd like to hear about it. Cheers, Don Lutjen