SBF Cylinder heads

chirodoc

Gold forum user
My daughters Ford 302 Explorer has developed a miss- unfortuneately its a valve.
Researching what's the best options, the 302 is stuffed in tighter than Tigers. It may be easier to pull the engine and replace with a local Craigs list motor.
I REMEMBER THAT LATE MODEL 302 EXPLORERS HAD GT40 HEADS. The 1997-2000 Explorer GT40P heads flow 196 cfm @ .500 lift. which is close to some aluminum $$$$ aftermarket heads. My 289 on the engine stand has 10.5 to 1 pistons. With the 1997-2000, F77E-AA HEADS AT 60 cc it would bring the comp ratio into regular gas territory. I think that the Craigs list motor can be bought for less than $200.
Refer to:" http/www8ji.com/small_block_ford_heads.htm" courtesy of Tom Rausch for flow data on Ford heads.
May need ROL head bolts from Oreillys for $30.00.
ROGER

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Roger,

Just a cautionary note, that may not be needed. Since I have been revisiting the issue of being able to run my forthcoming 347 on pump (91 octane) gas, I have been revisiting the topic myself.

Perhaps you have already been through this but it is dynamic compression ratio that determines whether you can run pump gas not so much your static ratio. It is generally said that the static ratio should not exceed 8.5:1 for pump gas (91 octane). While you can exceed that, the trade off is you end up taking timing out of the ignition advance curve to avoid detonation. Consequently the engine will not perform as well as it otherwise could. Or so I have been learning...

That ratio is calculated taking into account when the cam closes the intake valve. If you have not run the exercise with the head and piston combination you are contemplating, I highly recommend you do it. If you have already been there and done that, that's great. If not, the calculators on the Keith Black Pistons web site can get it done for you.

Cheers, Gene