Scary ride

SIV Allan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My Mk1a Tiger has stock springs and Konis.

I noticed a problem with the suspension while driving home across a messed up stretch of interstate in the southwest last August.

If the grade shifted from level (more or less) to a down slope to the right or left the car would feel like it went airborne.

If the grade shifted back suddenly the car became more difficult to handle.

The same thing occurs on the rural 2 lane roads that are crowned for drainage.

Can anyone provide information on how to cure this problem?

Do the symptoms indicate a need for new springs all around?

I have very little experience with Tiger suspensions and would very much appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance,

Allan Ballard

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Tires?

What tires and wheels are on the Tiger. Sounds to me just like a stock tiger with factory wheels and tires. Not good! Koni's cannot help if there is no grip in the tires.

Rick

PS Moved from Stock to Personalized because of the Koni shocks.

SIV Allan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi - wheels are repro 13 inch LAT70s all around with 185/60 front tires
and 205/60 on the rear.

Thanks!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi - wheels are repro 13 inch LAT70s all around with 185/60 front tires
and 205/60 on the rear.

Thanks!

Must have a decent bit of nose down stance on those tyres... Have you thought of going 185/70 on the front?

mwood

Gold forum user
I'd want to know alignment specs and condition of all ball joints (including steering arm ends), for starts :)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
INSPECT EVERYTHING, NOW!

My Mk1a Tiger has stock springs and Konis.

I noticed a problem with the suspension while driving home across a messed up stretch of interstate in the southwest last August.

If the grade shifted from level (more or less) to a down slope to the right or left the car would feel like it went airborne.

If the grade shifted back suddenly the car became more difficult to handle.

The same thing occurs on the rural 2 lane roads that are crowned for drainage.

Can anyone provide information on how to cure this problem?

Do the symptoms indicate a need for new springs all around?

I have very little experience with Tiger suspensions and would very much appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance,

Allan Ballard

Check all the suspension nuts & bolts for torque. Check all ball joints, spring hangers/eyes/etc. Wish bone (A-arms) fulcrum mounts. Don't guess at anything, get your hands in there and find what's floppy.

SIV Allan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Must have a decent bit of nose down stance on those tyres... Have you thought of going 185/70 on the front?

Thanks folks.

I was fixated on the springs :eek: but will change course and inspect the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc until the problem is found and solved.

Regarding the front tires, when the car came to me a few years ago I tried taller tires on the front but they scrubbed when I backed out of the driveway.

The valance has never been folded or trimmed so I went to the 185/60's to be real sure about clearance.

I don't have a closeup pic but the stance isn't as nose down as might be suspected.

mwood

Gold forum user
Please let us know what you find. Given the description, I'm thinking steering arm ends are really likely...tracks ok straight (gyroscope effect), deflects and goes wonky over bumps (conflicting toe angles). :)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
ride

allan,
take it to a shop that knows about doing alignments on older cars and take your shop manual if you have one. in the process they will find out if any part needs replaced. call Doug Jennings and talk to him about your problem. we had a similar problem with the green car when he finished it but not now.